- Last Date to File ITR for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24) - Income Tax Return Due Date
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Documents Required for Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing in India FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- How to Calculate Income From House Property
- 80G Deduction: Claim Tax Benefits on Donations to Charitable Institutions
Verifying your income tax return (ITR) is the final step in the income tax return filing process. If you do not verify your ITR within 30 days of filing it, it will be considered invalid under income tax laws. In this guide, we have covered the process of verifying your income tax return offline ( ITR-V).
(Please note that ITR-V stands for ITR- Verification and it is not the ITR-V form)
Step 1: While filing your income tax return, you will see an option “complete your verification” once you have submitted your tax return. In this step, you will have to select the third option, i.e., verify via ITR-V.
Step 2: Log in to your account again on https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal.
Step 3: After logging in, click on services tab> view filed return and you will see a window with your details.
Step 4: Click on the download button
Step 5: After downloading the form, get a printout and fill it completely followed by signing it with blue ink. Send the form to the Bangalore office to complete your verification.
Points to remember if you are sending ITR-V to verify your tax return.
- The ITR-V is a one-page form that must be signed in blue ink. It must be sent either by regular post or by speed post. ITR-V cannot be couriered.
- CPC Bangalore speed post address must be used to send the form: 'CPC, Post Box No - 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, India'
- You are not expected to send any supporting documents with your ITR-V.
- There should be no signatures on the bar code.
- The barcode and numbers below it should be clear.
- Once the tax department receives your ITR, you will be notified via SMS on your registered mobile phone and email address.
This notification is only for the receipt of the ITR-V; the confirmation for the processing of the tax return is separate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- What if ITR is not verified?
Ans. An ITR filed but not verified is treated as an invalid return by the department.
Q- What if ITR is not verified within 30 days?
Ans. Time limit to E-verify the return is 30 Days if missed the date then return would be considered as invalid return.
Q- What happens if ITR is not filed?
Ans. Taxpayers may get a notice from the Income Tax department.
Q- What is the penalty for late filing of ITR?
Ans. Penalty for late filing of Income Tax return u/s 234F is Rs. 5000 if income is above Rs. 500000/- otherwise Rs. 1000/-
Q- What is the due date to send ITR-V to CPC?
Ans. ITR-V needs to be sent to CPC within 30 days of filing of Return.
Q- How to get a duplicate ITR-V?
Ans. It can be downloaded by login into the Income Tax Site.
Q- How can I change the email address mentioned in my ITR-V?
Ans. To change email address, you need to login to income tax portal> my account>and edit the address > save>done.
Q- Should I send a photocopy of the duly signed ITR-V?
Ans. Yes, taxpayers need to send ITR-V to CPC.