What is TDS challan 281?
Challan ITNS 281 is used to deposit the
- Tax Deducted at Source (TDS), and
- Tax Collected at Source (TCS)
by the corporate or non-corporate assessee with the department.
How can I submit ITNS challan 281?
To file the challan with Income Tax department assessee can use any of the following modes:
- Offline mode
- Online mode
Now let’s discuss the process involved in these modes.
Offline mode to submit Challan 281
To fill and submit TDS ITNS challan 281 you should follow the step by step process explained beneath:
- Deductors are required to select and fill the applicable challan i.e. challan number 281 with all the required information.
- Present the Challan to the bank along with the counterfoil of challan and the amount required to be paid.
The Counterfoil is important as it will act as a proof of acceptance of challan and payment once it has been stamped by the bank. This counterfoil can be used for any future course of action required.
Online Process to submit Challan 281
To make the process less cumbersome and easy for the user or taxpayers, the government has introduced the facility of depositing the taxes online. The online system is used to make the payment of TDS challan at the convenience of the taxpayers.
To know how to successfully submit Challan 281 at the ease of your office or home read below the complete process:
- Open the Tax Information Network of Income-tax Department or Click on the link: https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
- A page as shown in the image below will open up
- Select the CHALLAN NO./ITNS 281 and click on proceed. Next, wait for the form to open up. The challan form 281 once opened will resemble to the screen shown below
- Now the requisite details are required to be filled in the form as under
Details shown in Challan 281 Information to be selected /filled Select the type of deductees from code: (0020) Company deductee(0021) for Non-Company deductee Select the type of TDS payment (200) TDS payable by the taxpayer (400) TDS under regular assessment Select the mode of payment Net banking or debit card Tax Deduction Account Number Mention the 10 digit Tax Deduction Account Number Assessment Year Select the relevant Assessment Year from the drop-down list Personal Information Type the details like address, Email ID, Mobile No. as required Captcha Code Type the captcha code given in the image
- Further, Click on the Proceed button to continue with the payment process and
You can also check the status of challan online. To do the same follow the under mentioned steps:
- Open the OLTAS- Challan Enquiry Portal or Click on this link https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html
- Select the types of views for Taxpayers. OLTAS gives you an option for
CIN based view
TAN based view
CIN Based View
For CIN based view, enter the following details mentioned in the challan:
- BSR Code of Collecting Branch,
- Challan Tender Date (Cash/Cheque Deposit Date)
- Challan Serial Number
- Amount (optional),
The taxpayer can view the following details after submitting the form:
- BSR Code
- Date of Deposit
- Challan Serial Number
- Major Head Code with a description
- Name of Tax Payer
- Received by TIN on (i.e., date of receipt by TIN)
- Confirmation about the amount entered is correct or not (if the amount is entered)
TAN Based View
For TAN based view, enter the following details mentioned in the challan:
- Provide TAN
- Challan Tender Date from the range for a particular financial year,
The taxpayer can view the following information:
- Major Head Code with a description
- Minor Head Code
- Nature of Payment
To know more on how to make TDS payment online Read Here..
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- What is type of payment in Challan 281?
Ans: Challan No. ITNS 281 is used for depositing Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) or Tax Collected at Source (TCS).
Q- What is 400 TDS TCS assessment?
Ans: Challan 281 has two Minor Head Codes which are to be ticked by the taxpayer (a) TDS/TCS payable by taxpayer (Minor Head -200) (b) TDS/TCS on regular assessment (raised by Income-tax Department (Minor-Head - 400).
Q- What is 300 self assessment tax?
Ans: Challan No. 283 is a new challan introduced. It is for the payment of Banking Cash Transaction Tax - Major Head 0036 and Fringe Benefit Tax - Major Head 0026. The valid Minor Head for both these categories of taxes are Self Assessment Tax, Minor Head – 300, Tax on Regular Assessment Tax - Minor Head 400 and Advance Tax, Minor Head-100.
Q- Can TDS be deposited in cash?
Ans: Yes TDS can be deposited in cash through the offline method.
Q- What does ITNS mean in income tax?
Ans: ITNS (Income Tax New Series) is a challan which facilitates a corporate and non-corporate taxpayer for payment of income-tax.
Q- If both buyer and seller are NRI, then how can we deposit TDS and in which form applicable?
Ans: If both buyer and seller of immovable property are NRI, then TDS on long term capital gain shall be deducted at 20% plus surcharge applicable, if any plus hecc. However, TDS should ideally be deducted on sale consideration and not on capital gain. Hence, a certificate from income tax officer to the effect that TDS is to be deducted on LTCG and not on Sale consideration is required to be obtained. The TDS so deducted is to be deposited using Challan No ITNS 281.
People also ask
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on TDS in India
- TDS Return Filing Online
- Form 16B
- Form 16C
- Form 15G & 15H: Save TDS on Interest Income
- TRACES Login: Login into TDS TRACES Website
- TRACES Registration: Register on TDS TRACES Website
- Section 192 : TDS on Salary Computation under Income Tax Act
- Section 194L Series : Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Capital Asset
- Section 194A: TDS on Interest other than Interest on Securities
- Section 194B & 194BB : TDS On Winning From Lottery Or Race Horse
- Section 194D & Section 194DA : TDS on Insurance Commission
- Section 194H: TDS on Commission & Brokerage
- Section 194I, 194IB & 194IC: TDS On Rent
- Section 194-IB: TDS On Rent Of Property
- Section 194G & Section 194H under Income Tax Act
- Section 194M: TDS on Payment to Resident Contractors and Professionals
- Section 195: TDS on NRI Selling Property In India
- TDS Challan ITNS 281: Pay TDS Online with e-Payment Tax
- TDS Payment Online: Procedure & Types Of Challans
- OLTAS Application: View challan status on TRACES
- Section 44AD: Presumptive Taxation Scheme
- TDS on Withdrawal from the EPF Account
- TDS Return on Salary Payment
- TDS Return on Payments to NRIs
- TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Post Office Monthly Income Scheme: Interest Rate & Features
- Difference between TDS in Income Tax and TDS in GST
- TDS Return Filing Online: Eligibility, Due Dates & Revised TDS
- Form 16B: Download TDS Certificate for Sale of Property
- Form 16C: TDS Certificate for Rent of Property
- Form 24Q: TDS Return on Salary Payment
- Form 26Q: TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Form 26QB: TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- Form 27Q: TDS Return on Payments to NRIs