|Type of Capital Gains||TDS should be done at|
|For Long Term Capital Gains||20% + Cess|
|For Short Term Capital Gains||30%* + Cess|
*No benefit of the slab should be allowed to NRI. Instead, the tax should be deducted at the highest slab rate of 30% presently. One of the key differences apart from the residential status and tax rate is that as per Section 195 of the Income Tax provisions, in this case, TDS needs to be done even if the amount in the transaction involved is less than Rs 50,00,000 (Fifty Lakhs). Whereas if the seller is Resident TDS liability under section 194IA only in case transaction amount is Rs 50,00,000 (Fifty Lakhs) or higher. In addition to the above, the buyer deducting tax under 194IA can deposit tax through Form 26QB. And is not mandatorily required to quote TAN (Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number). But as far as tax deduction by buyer making a purchase of property from NRI seller is concerned it is required to quote TAN compulsorily. We can summarise the discussion done above as under
|Rate of TDS||1%||20% or 30%|
|Transaction amount||Rs 50 lakhs and above||Any amount|
|CA Certification to foreign remittance received (Form 15CB)||Not required||Required to certify declaration to be filed with the Income Tax Department.|
|Capital Gains Computation||Not necessary||Is always computed|
For in-depth understanding about TDS on sale of property for residents under section, 194IA read our Blog.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Is TDS on property applicable for NRI?
Ans: When an NRI is sells property, the buyer is liable to deduct TDS @20%. TDS must be deducted at the time of making payment to NRI
Q- How NRIs can lower TDS on property sale?
Ans: The person (other than individual and HUF) is liable to deduct TDS on rent under section 194I
Q- Do NRIs need Aadhaar to sell property?
Ans. No NRI does need aadhar to sell property.
Q- How can NRI sell property in India?
Ans. NRI if sale property in india which he purchase before 3 years it have to capital gain tax @20%. In case of inherited property cost of previous owner is also considered. NRI is also subject to the TDS @20% on LTCG
Q- What is the TDS rate for NRI?
Ans. When NRI invested in certain indian assets he is taxed @ 20%.
Q- How much tax do I pay on sale of property in India?
Ans. Rate for sale of property is LTCG is 20% and STCG is added to the taxable income of the assessee and attract tax as per the slab rate.
Last Date : New
People also ask
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on TDS in India
- TDS Return Filing Online
- Form 16B
- Form 16C
- Form 15G & 15H: Save TDS on Interest Income
- TRACES Login: Login into TDS TRACES Website
- TRACES Registration: Register on TDS TRACES Website
- Section 192 : TDS on Salary Computation under Income Tax Act
- Section 194L Series : Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Capital Asset
- Section 194A: TDS on Interest other than Interest on Securities
- Section 194B & 194BB : TDS On Winning From Lottery Or Race Horse
- Section 194D & Section 194DA : TDS on Insurance Commission
- Section 194H: TDS on Commission & Brokerage
- Section 194I, 194IB & 194IC: TDS On Rent
- Section 194-IB: TDS On Rent Of Property
- Section 194G & Section 194H under Income Tax Act
- Section 194M: TDS on Payment to Resident Contractors and Professionals
- Section 195: TDS on NRI Selling Property In India
- TDS Challan ITNS 281: Pay TDS Online with e-Payment Tax
- TDS Payment Online: Procedure & Types Of Challans
- OLTAS Application: View challan status on TRACES
- Section 44AD: Presumptive Taxation Scheme
- TDS on Withdrawal from the EPF Account
- TDS Return on Salary Payment
- TDS Return on Payments to NRIs
- TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Post Office Monthly Income Scheme: Interest Rate & Features
- Difference between TDS in Income Tax and TDS in GST
- TDS Return Filing Online: Eligibility, Due Dates & Revised TDS
- Form 16B: Download TDS Certificate for Sale of Property
- Form 16C: TDS Certificate for Rent of Property
- Form 24Q: TDS Return on Salary Payment
- Form 26Q: TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Form 26QB: TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- Form 27Q: TDS Return on Payments to NRIs