After making the login follow this process
- Click on Statements or payments option
- Select challan status in the drop down
- Now you have two options to check the details
- Option 1: Enter the period for which you want to see the challans and
- Select the challan status to be viewed i.e. claimed or unclaimed or all
- Option 2: Enter BSR code, date of deposit, Challan serial Number and amount.
- Alternatively, you can choose to view “Challan consumption details” table.
What is the meaning of Challan?
Challans are the prescribed forms used for making tax payments. Different challans have been prescribed depending upon the nature of tax payments. For eg
- Challan 280 is for payment of income tax (advance tax, self-assessment tax etc)
- Challan 281 is for making payment of TDS or TCS
- Form 26QB is for making tax payment for TDS deducted on the sale of property etc
Can challan be submitted online?
For making payment of taxes a prescribed document known as challan needs to be filled. It is available at
- Income tax department
And the payment can be made either
For making the online payment one needs to have net banking or debit cards of the authorized banks.
You can submit the hard copies of challan together with the amount payable at physical bank counters.
Which things are required to be considered while making the Challan payment?
Following things should be taken care of while filling up the challan such as
- Selection of correct head of tax payment
- Precaution while selecting the mode of payment
- Proper attention at the time fo entering the amount
- Nature of payment selected should be cross-checked
- Assessment year should be correctly selected
- PAN and TAN details of deductor should be entered correctly
What is the process to view challan status on TRACES?
To view the challan on TRACES you need to
- Login your account
- Go to Statements or Payments Menu
- Click on Challan Status
- Enter Challan details
The results will appear. Also, any unused balance available will be shown against the challan details it belongs to.
What is the process to view challan status on OLTAS ?
If you have to ascertain that the tax paid by you has been properly recorded in your name, then this feature of OLTAS can be used to view the status of challans deposited in the bank. FIrst you have to visit the website of NSDL and take the given steps :
- Step – 1 Click on this link: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html
- Step – 2 Select either from CIN (Challan Identification Number) based view or TAN based view as per your preference. TAN based view is used by the persons who deduct your TDS.
CIN based view :
When you select CIN based view, you need to enter Challan Identification Number (i.e. details such as BSR Code,Challan Tender Date & Challan Serial No.) and amount (optional) After entering such details, you can view the following details:
- BSR Code
- Date of Deposit
- Challan Serial Number
- Major Head Code with description
- Name of Taxpayer
- Received by TIN on (i.e. date of receipt by TIN)
- Confirmation that the amount entered is correct (if amount is entered)
B. TAN based view :
When you select TAN based view, you need to enter TAN and Challan Tender Date range (Date on which challan is paid) for a particular financial year, then you can view the following details :
- Major Head Code with description
- Minor Head Code
- Nature of Payment
When you will enter the amount against a CIN, then the system will match it with the details of the amount uploaded by the bank and will show you the confirmation message.
What is the difference between Claimed and Unclaimed under challan status?
Claimed: An amount in challan which has been shown in TDS return by the tax filer and is successfully matched with the bank payment details is known as claimed.
Unclaimed: Any bank payments which have not yet been claimed in the return are known as unclaimed challan.
What does “Challan Consumption Details” table mean?
It is a table showing the various transaction when a specific challan was claimed/consumed. The following information can be extracted from this table of challan consumption
|Challan Consumption Table||Status of Challan|
|Amount Claimed = Challan Balance available||Fully Consumed|
|Amount Claimed < Challan Balance available||Partially Consumed|
|Amount Claimed = 0||Matched|
|Amount Claimed > Challan Balance available||Over Booked|
What does Challan Status Query for Statements mean?
By providing the
- Financial Year
- Quarter and
- Form Type
Deductor can view particulars of all the challans that have been used in the TDS return/statement for the period.
I have selected wrong section while making the TDS challan Payment. Is there a need to contact Assessing officer?
No communication to Jurisdictional Assessing Officer is required to be made in case of wrong selection of section code by the tax depositor. The CPC-TDS considers the nature of payment on the basis of TDS returns and not on the basis of challan particulars.
Even if you so wish to amend the details of challan it is suggested to file a correction statement through OLTAS.
Can a single challan be filed for different TDS payments?
Yes, a single challan can be filed for TDS payments to be made under different section codes. The nature of payment in a challan can have multiple selections.
While submitting challan for TDS which subhead shall be selected?
At the time of filling up challan for payment of TDS i.e. challan number 281 select Minor head – 400.
How deductee row can be moved from one challan to another?
A deductee row can be moved from one challan to other within a quarter if, the balance is available. In case the challan is not available in the same quarter or return, changes in respect of the same are first required to be done. After that deductee rows can be moved from one challan i.e. overbooked challan to another challan.
What do you mean by OLTAS?
OLTAS or Online Tax Accounting System is the initiative of the Income Tax Department. It was mainly done to keep a record of taxes paid through the uploading of challan details.
How can I check the authorized banks on OLTAS?
To check the list of authorized banks you are required to first visit www.Tin-nsdl.com. Now under the services tab select OLTAS. Further, select the icon of bank branches. A page will open up click on the state and select the location for which you want to check available bank branches. A list of all authorized banks in the region will open up.
Will I get some receipt on submitting challan to the bank?
The authorized bank will put stamp as a token of acknowledgment of the tax amount on challan. You should take two copies of the printed challan and get both acknowledged to be preserved for future reference. The rubber stamp affixed indicates unique CIN. CIN is a 20 digit number. It comprises
- 7 digits of BSR code
- Date of deposit and
- 5 digits of challan serial number
CIN is unique through the country and hence is used for identification purposes of the challan.
What are the different challans available?
You can get the list of all challans on TIN NSDL.. Broadly,
- Challan 281 is for payment of TDS
- Challan 280 is for Income tax payments
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- How can I see unclaimed Challan in traces?
Ans. To check Unclaimed challan in Traces, all you need to do is to login to your traces account , select challan status from the drop down list of Statement/payments, provide period of payment or date of challan and it will appear after clicking on go.
Q- How can I get my Challan number online payment?
Ans. After making the tax payment using Challan 280, a tax receipt shall be generated. The BSR code and challan serial number are displayed on the right side of the challan.
Q- How do you find unconsumed Challan on traces?
Ans. Login at Traces (www.tdscpc.gov.in). Click on Dashboard and Check 'List of Unconsumed Challans'.
Q- What is Challan serial number in traces?
Ans. The bank branch which collects the payment will put a rubber stamp on the challan and its counterfoil indicating a unique Challan Identification Number (CIN), the date of deposit , and the challan serial number in 5 digits.
Q- How can I check my advance tax status?
Ans. Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html. Click on either CIN based view or TAN based view. FIll in the required details and submit to view advance tax status.
Trending Guides : New
People also ask
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on TDS in India
- TDS Return Filing Online
- Form 16B
- Form 16C
- Form 15G & 15H: Save TDS on Interest Income
- TRACES Login: Login into TDS TRACES Website
- TRACES Registration: Register on TDS TRACES Website
- Section 192 : TDS on Salary Computation under Income Tax Act
- Section 194L Series : Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Capital Asset
- Section 194A: TDS on Interest other than Interest on Securities
- Section 194B & 194BB : TDS On Winning From Lottery Or Race Horse
- Section 194D & Section 194DA : TDS on Insurance Commission
- Section 194H: TDS on Commission & Brokerage
- Section 194I, 194IB & 194IC: TDS On Rent
- Section 194-IB: TDS On Rent Of Property
- Section 194G & Section 194H under Income Tax Act
- Section 194M: TDS on Payment to Resident Contractors and Professionals
- Section 195: TDS on NRI Selling Property In India
- TDS Challan ITNS 281: Pay TDS Online with e-Payment Tax
- TDS Payment Online: Procedure & Types Of Challans
- OLTAS Application: View challan status on TRACES
- Section 44AD: Presumptive Taxation Scheme
- TDS on Withdrawal from the EPF Account
- TDS Return on Salary Payment
- TDS Return on Payments to NRIs
- TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Post Office Monthly Income Scheme: Interest Rate & Features
- Difference between TDS in Income Tax and TDS in GST
- TDS Return Filing Online: Eligibility, Due Dates & Revised TDS
- Form 16B: Download TDS Certificate for Sale of Property
- Form 16C: TDS Certificate for Rent of Property
- Form 24Q: TDS Return on Salary Payment
- Form 26Q: TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Form 26QB: TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- Form 27Q: TDS Return on Payments to NRIs