Grounds necessary for requesting rectification to the Income Tax Department

As mentioned above, only on some specific grounds rectification is requested. These grounds are normally termed as “mistake apparent from records”. If we interpret the phrase in a layman language we can develop an understanding that those mistakes can be rectified which are traceable from documentary records. These records are normally the supportings based on which we filed our ITR such as form 16, income statements, deduction proofs, notifications or pronouncements made by IT department etc. Till date law has not prescribed any list. But professionals could conclude some pointers such as:

  • Any provision of law becomes effective from retrospective date
  • Mathematical and clerical mistakes
  • Decision of jurisdictional high court not followed while considering this particular case
  • Wrong application of any provisions of the Income Tax Act (by any means i.e. overlooking any provision, mis interpretation etc)
  • Any factual errors

Orders which can be rectified u/s 154

The following orders can be rectified on request or on discretion of income tax officer as per section 154

  • a) Any order passed under any provisions of the Income-tax Act
  • b) Any intimation or deemed intimation under section 143(1)
  • c) Any intimation sent under section 200A(1) in relation to processing of TDS return
  • d) Any intimation under section 206CB

“Return processed at CPC can only be Rectified. Even if it is a belated return.”

The process of making the online rectification request under section 154 to IT Department

You can easily raise online request for rectification by following the simple series of steps as under.

  • A. Login to


  • B. From the drop down “Efile” select “Rectification”


  • C. Mention the credentials asked like

    Income Tax Return / Wealth Tax Return

    1. Assessment Year
    2. Latest communication reference number i.e. number mentioned in last CPC letter you received


  • D. Select the rectification request type

    There are three subcategories you can choose from

    1. Taxpayer is correcting data for Tax Credit mismatch only

      By selecting this options you can make multiple corrections (Maximum of 10 sub categories at a time) in Income Tax amount, TDS (Tax Deduction at source) amount and TCS (Tax Collection at source) amount you specified in Income Tax Return.

      Tax Collection at source

    2. Taxpayer is correcting Data in Rectification

      Choose maximum upto 4 reasons and schedules for which you are requesting rectification. You need to upload xml for the changes desired.


    3. No further Data Correction Required. Reprocess the case

      Through choosing this option you can request to reconsider the areas of Tax credit mismatch or Tax/ Interest Computation. No xml to be uploaded in this case.


  • E. Click on submit below the screen. Next select OK on pop up asking for confirmation that your TDS entries are in sync with 26AS

  • F. A reference number is generated followed by successful submission of request.


Generation of reference number ensures successful submission of your rectification request with the IT Authorities. Order under section 154 will be received by you, after the request is successfully accepted.

In nutshell, Rectification of income tax return gives you and income tax officer the same right to make corrections in return. You can seek corrections even after 4 years from the end of financial year (from receiving of order / intimation sought to be rectified).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q- What is the time limit for rectification under section 154?

Ans. Assessee can file for rectification within 4 years from the date of order that sought to be rectified.

Q- How can I rectify my income tax return after e verification?

Ans. Taxpayer can file his Revise Return within the time limit to rectify the error in return.

Q- How do I withdraw a rectification request?

Ans. Taxpayer can withdraw the rectification request within the end of the day of request.

Q- How do we raise a rectification request for Tax credit mismatch?

Ans. It can be done by Login into the income tax site and select the income tax credit mismatch and fill in the details to apply for rectification.

Q- Is it possible to change assessment year in itr (already verified and got intimation)?

Ans. It can be done by just filing a Revise Return within the time limit.

Q- Can an appeal be filed with CIT after a rectification return?

Ans.Yes, appeal can be filed against rectification order.

Q- I got excess income tax refund credited to my bank. I filed a revised return. But before processing it, I got excess refund in my bank account. What do I do?

Ans.You can file rectification under section 154 of the Income Tax Act,1961 and provide the concern to income tax authorities.

Q- What is the process to intimate tax department if tax refund is less than claimed in ITR?

Ans. If you have received less refund, then while processing of return,income tax department may have some outstanding demand which is initimated through intimation under 143(1). To review this login to your income tax portal> My Account>Tax credit mismatch. If you agree, then select agree and if not you have to provide reasons for the same.

Q- I’m getting an invalid CPC communication reference number while filing rectification for income tax return. What should I do?

Ans. Communication reference no. can traced by “requesting for intimation” by logging into Income Tax site.

Q- How do I pay US demand on 154?

Ans. Tax Demand can be paid via Challan 280. This challan can be filled online from TIN-NSDL website and demand can be paid via online banking / debit card etc.

Q- What is the time limit for rectification under section 154?

Ans. Rectification can made upto 4 years from the end of financial year in which order sought to be rectified was passed.

Q- What is intimation under Section 154?

Ans. Sometimes there may be a mistake in any order passed by the Assessing Officer. In such a situation, mistake which is apparent from the record can be rectified under section 154.

Q- How do you file rectification?

Ans. Rectification can be file online after makinga login on your income tax india e-filing account.For the step by step porcess please refer above.

Q- What is the difference between revised return and rectification return?

Ans. Revised return can be filed before completion of assessment or before the end of the respective assessment year whichever is earlier. However, rectification can be filed after processing of return or after receiving intimation u/s 143(1)upto 4 years.

Q- Can appeal be filed against intimation u/s 143 1?

Ans. Yes, appeal can be filed against the intimation u/s 143 (1).

CA Abhishek Soni

Abhishek Soni is a Chartered Accountant by profession & entrepreneur by passion. He is the co-founder & CEO of Tax2win is amongst the top 25 emerging startups of Asia and authorized ERI by the Income Tax Department. In the past, he worked in EY and comes with wide industry experience from telecom, retail to manufacturing to entertainment where he has handled various national and international assignments.