Section 194D: TDS on Insurance Commission
This provision of tax deduction mostly hits people who work as insurance agents for companies like LIC, HDFC Insurance, ICICI Insurance etc.Who is required to deduct TDS u/s 194D?
Any person who pays to resident an income in the form of remuneration or reward (as commission or otherwise) for generating insurance business.What is the rate & time of tax deduction u/s 194D?
The rate of tax u/s 194D is 5%(Resident person other than the company)/10%( Domestic company) ( as the case may be). And the time of deduction is earlier of, the credit of income to the account of the payee (receiver) or actual payment (in cash, cheque, draft or other modes).No TDS Requirement :
If the amount of such income (whether individually or in aggregate for financial year) does not exceed ?15000 then no TDS u/s 194D is required.
Section 194DA: TDS on Payment of Life Insurance Policy
It won’t be wrong to say that, every 8 out of 10 people in India opt for Life Insurance Policy. And why not, no one can predict future, hence to save oneself from any future mishap people go for life insurance.
But you’ll be surprised to know that payment received on maturity of insurance policy attracts provisions of tax deduction u/s 194DA if the policy is not exempt under section 10(10D). Let’s understand it as follows:
Any person who is paying an amount to a resident by way of insurance policy (including bonus amount, if any) will have to deduct tax before releasing the amount.What is the rate & time of tax deduction u/s 194DA?
The rate of tax u/s 194DA is 1% at the time of making the payment.No TDS Requirement :
In the below-mentioned situations, no TDS will be required u/s 194DA.
- Where the amount of such payment (or aggregate amount during the financial year) is less than Rs.1,00,000.
- Where the amount of insurance received is as per following cases:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- What is the percentage of TDS on commission?
Ans: Rate of deduction of TDS is 5%.
Q- Is TDS applicable on incentive paid to employees?
Ans: Yes TDS is deducted if the total income of the assessee exceeds the total amount which is not chargeable tax.
Q- What is the tax on commission?
Ans: TDS on commission is 5%
Q- Is GST applicable on commission income?
Ans: For commission agent GST is applicable therefore on commission income GST is chargeable.
Q- What is the TDS rate under section 195?
Q- Who should deduct TDS on commission?
Ans: An individual or member of HUF who is liable to pay any type of commission or brokerage is liable for tax deduction on commission payment made.
Q- What is the threshold limit for TDS on commission?
Ans: The threshold limit for TDS on commission is 15000.
Trending Guides : New
People also ask
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on TDS in India
- TDS Return Filing Online
- Form 16B
- Form 16C
- Form 15G & 15H: Save TDS on Interest Income
- TRACES Login: Login into TDS TRACES Website
- TRACES Registration: Register on TDS TRACES Website
- Section 192 : TDS on Salary Computation under Income Tax Act
- Section 194L Series : Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Capital Asset
- Section 194A: TDS on Interest other than Interest on Securities
- Section 194B & 194BB : TDS On Winning From Lottery Or Race Horse
- Section 194D & Section 194DA : TDS on Insurance Commission
- Section 194H: TDS on Commission & Brokerage
- Section 194I, 194IB & 194IC: TDS On Rent
- Section 194-IB: TDS On Rent Of Property
- Section 194G & Section 194H under Income Tax Act
- Section 194M: TDS on Payment to Resident Contractors and Professionals
- Section 195: TDS on NRI Selling Property In India
- TDS Challan ITNS 281: Pay TDS Online with e-Payment Tax
- TDS Payment Online: Procedure & Types Of Challans
- OLTAS Application: View challan status on TRACES
- Section 44AD: Presumptive Taxation Scheme
- TDS on Withdrawal from the EPF Account
- TDS Return on Salary Payment
- TDS Return on Payments to NRIs
- TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Post Office Monthly Income Scheme: Interest Rate & Features
- Difference between TDS in Income Tax and TDS in GST
- TDS Return Filing Online: Eligibility, Due Dates & Revised TDS
- Form 16B: Download TDS Certificate for Sale of Property
- Form 16C: TDS Certificate for Rent of Property
- Form 24Q: TDS Return on Salary Payment
- Form 26Q: TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Form 26QB: TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- Form 27Q: TDS Return on Payments to NRIs