How To login GST Portal in India
Goods and Services Tax is one of the most valuable and revolutionary indirect taxes imposed by the government of India post-independence. GST is a value-added tax applied to the supply of goods and services from the manufacturer to the consumer. The customers pay GST, but it is sent to the government by the business selling goods and services. (Find more about GST at Tax2Win)
From 1 July 2017, all entities to whom GST is applicable must register at the GST portal to file GST returns. GST portal is an online way to file GST, which evades the pain of visiting tax departments physically to complete all the formalities related to GST like registration, assessment, request for a refund, etc.
What is the GST Portal?
The government of India introduces the GST portal to enable taxpayers to complete the tax process online. In addition, the portal helps in filing the tax online with the support of technical experts, which ultimately assists in saving time and avoiding the hustle of visiting the tax offices and standing in long queues.
The GST portal is hosted at https://www.gst.gov.in/ and enables taxpayers to file GST, do GST registration, and track GST refunds, grievances, notices, etc. The portal also offers taxpayers to receive answers to their questions related to GST. After registration and completing the GST login, taxpayers can view their respective GST details.
Who is eligible to Register and Login for GST?
As per the GST council, the following individuals should register on the GST Portal:-
- Any business involved in the supply of goods whose turnover in a financial year exceeds Rs.40 lakhs for Normal Category states (Rs.20 lakhs for Special Category states)
- Any business involved in the supply of services whose turnover in a financial year exceeds Rs.20 lakhs for Normal Category states (Rs.10 lakhs for Special Category states)
- Individuals already registered under other tax regimes, like Excise Duty, and Service Tax, before implementing GST.
- Taxable Non-Residents and Casual Taxpayers
- Individuals liable to pay tax via the reverse charge mechanism (RCM).
- For all e-commerce operators or aggregators.
- A person making inter-state supplies
- Agents of a supplier
- Input service distributor
- Person supplying online information and database access or retrieval (OIDAR) services from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered taxable person
List of Special Category States under GST
Special Category States under GST:- As per Explanation (3) of Section 22 of CGST act 2017, ” special category States ” shall mean the States as specified in sub-clause (g) of clause (4) of article 279A of the Constitution. List of which is as follows: –
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir
- Himachal Pradesh
How to register for GST?
First, visit https://www.gst.gov.in/, wherein you can apply for GST registration. The site will show you multiple tabs like Home, Services, GST Law, Downloads, Search Taxpayer, Help and Taxpayer Facilities, and e-Invoice.
- Under the “Services” option, Click the “New Registration” tab.
- Further, it will ask you to fill in specific details like profile type, business name, PAN number, state, email ID, and mobile number, proceeding to which you are provided with an acknowledgment number for GST login.
- Later the GST officer does the required verification, and a GST Identification Number (GSTIN) is allotted. GSTIN is a distinctive 15-digit Goods and Services Tax Identification Number. In the registration process, a username is also provided, and you can set a password of your choice for the official GST login.
How to Login GST Government Portal?
How to do GST Login for the first time on the portal?
For first-time users, GST login can be done by GSTIN (GST Identification Number) and a password created at the registration time to log in to the GST portal.
Step 1: Visit www.gst.gov.in and click the Login option in the right corner of the GST website homepage.
Step 2: The login page will display, wherein at the bottom, you will find the option saying, “First time login: If you are logging in for the first time, click here to login.”
Step 3: After clicking on “Here,” a “New User” login page will be displayed. Enter the details such as GSTIN/Provisional ID/ Unique Identification Number and the password received at the time of registration. Complete the captcha code and click the login button.
Step 4: The page will now ask you to create a new username and password for GST login.
Step 5: A confirmation message is displayed once you have successfully created the username and password. Now you can log in to the GST portal using your new password.
Step 6: While doing the GST login for the first time, a message to file a non-core amendment application pops up. Click the ‘FILE AMENDMENT’ option. The file amendment option lets you to add your bank account details while filing GST.
Step 7: Consequently, a page with the application form will open where you can edit the bank details through the ‘Add New button under the ‘Bank Accounts’ tab.
How to do GST Login for Unregistered Users via temporary user ID?
Users are not allowed to do GST login without registration. Therefore, if someone is still looking to log in to the GST portal, they must apply for a Temporary User ID. Please note these unregistered users can avail of only limited services on the GST Portal, such as tracking application status, viewing ledgers, creating challan, etc.
Step 1: Visit the official GST Portal.
Step 2: Click Services tab >User Services tab > Create User ID for Unregistered Applicant.
Step 3: A warning message will appear; select “Yes” to accept the terms and conditions.
Step 4: You have to fill out the form and click proceed.
Step 5: An OTP is received on the email ID mentioned on the “New Registration for Unregistered Application” page. Enter the OTP and click “Proceed.”
Step 6: Once the OTP is verified, the temporary user ID will be created, and the details of it will be sent to the registered email ID.
Step 7: You can log in using the temporary ID and password sent to the registered email address.
How to do GST Login for Existing Users on the portal?
Step 1: Land on the GST Portal Home Page. Enter your User I’D and password. You will get logged in.
Step 2: You will be directed to the dashboard, wherein you will be accessible to your profile, notices, view orders, and create a payment challan in a few clicks.
How to Track GST Registration Application Status?
- Under the 'Services' tab on GST official website, select 'Registration' and then click on 'Track Application Status.
- Select 'ARN,' and input the ARN number.'
- You can view the status of your registration application by following the instructions.
How to Cancel GST Registration in GSTN Portal?
- Visit the official website of GST.
- Enter User ID and Password to log in.
- Click on 'Services.' Then click 'Registration' and click on 'Application for Cancellation of Registration.
- Enter your address and continue with 'Save and Proceed.'
- Select why you want to cancel your GST registration and then click on 'Save and Proceed.'
- Provide the relevant details as required. Confirm the details using the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) or the EVC option.
- Once you submit the form, an ARN number will be generated, which can be used for future reference.
How to File GST Returns Online?
To file the return, it is mandatory to have a 15-digit GST identification number.
Step 1: Login on the GST portal
Step 2: Click on the ‘Services’ tab
Step 3: Click on the ‘Returns’ dashboard
Step 4: Select the financial year from the drop-down menu and the return filing period
Step 5: Click on ‘Prepare online and fill in all the required values
Step 6: Click on ‘Save’ and ‘Submit.’
Step 7: Once the return status changes to ‘Submitted,’ scroll down and click on ‘Proceed to File’
Step 8: Select an ‘Authorised Signatory’ from the drop-down list
Step 9: Fill the form with EVC and click on ‘Proceed’
What are the services offered after GST login at the portal?
The GST login portal is well-organized. Taxpayers can find the portal very easy to handle and pay their taxes without hassle. Many crucial tabs are offered on the GST portal once you log in. The ‘Dashboard’ section appears immediately once you log in. Users can file GST returns, check all notices and orders, and edit their profiles. This section also allows the preparation of tax challans.
Under Service Tab following options are provided:-
Under the ‘Registration’ tab, you can access:-
- New Registration
- Amendment of Registration Core Fields
- Track Application Status
- Application for Filling Clarification
- Amendment of Registration Non-Core Fields
- Application for Cancellation of Registration.
Under the ‘Ledgers’ section, the four options available are:-
- Electronic Cash Ledger
- Electronic Credit Ledger
- Electronic Liability Register
- Payment towards Demand
This tab offers five different options. You can view the returns dashboard and e-filed returns. In addition, you can check the status of returns and access the transition form. ITC forums are also accessible through the ‘Returns’ tab.
The taxpayers can create challans, access challan history, and view the saved challans on the payment tab. In addition, you can file applications for deferred payments or payments in installments.
You can find several valuable options under this tab:-
- Checking the saved applications
- Viewing/downloading certificates
- Viewing the holiday list
- Searching for contacts of GST officers and offices
- Filing grievances/complaints, etc.
Users can apply for refunds and check the saved or filed application under this tab. In addition, you can track the application filed for GST returns. The status of invoice data can also be tracked to share it with ICEGATE.
Tax2Win is ready with our expert CAs to clear your query regarding GST filing or registration! Know more about GST here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- What is the government website to file GST?
www.gst.gov.in. is the government website, known as the GST portal/GSTN portal. This site has various services that offer information about GST registration of the entities, their GST filing, and the medium to process GST refunds.
Q- How can I track my GST returns update online?
After login on to the GST portal, you will be redirected to the Dashboard page. Later click on the “Services” tab. Under the Services tab, click Returns> Track Return Status to check your GST return status.
Q- How is GST calculated?
As per the GST commodity tariff schedules, different goods and services have different GST rates. GST can be calculated by following these steps:-
Step 1: Check the HSN for the relevant goods and services
Step 2: Once you know the HSN, check the GST rate
Step 3: As per the applicable GST rate, calculate GST
Q- How to alter the user name in GST login?
Once you log in, under the 'Service' section, click on the 'Amendment of Registration' option and make the necessary changes.
Q- What services are available on the GST portal?
Registration, User Services, Payments, e-Way Bill System, and refunds are the five services.
Q- Is GST registration free?
Q- Is it mandatory to do GST registration even for smaller businesses?
Yes, all businesses need to register under the GST Act if they fall under the liability criteria.
Q- How can I recover the GST password in case I forgot them?
On the GST login page, click the forgot password button. Enter the username and generate OTP after filling in the required changes. Once the OTP is verified, the user can create a new password.