How to check the Provident Fund (PF) Balance Status?
Gone are the days when you had to wait for your employer to tell your EPF (Employee Provident Fund) popularly known as “PF” balance at the end of the year. Now, checking PF balance has become super easy. The government has introduced various ways through which you can check your PF Balance online anywhere, anytime. It can be done without having a UAN number through a missed call or sms service or in case you have UAN then PF balance can be checked by making a successful login to EPFO portal, EPFO App and UMANG App.
In this post, we will explain you various means along with the process for knowing your PF Balance with the EPFO (Employee Provident Fund Organization)-
PF Balance check without UAN number
The balance of your provident fund account can be checked even without using the UAN number.This can be done either through a miss call facility or by sending a message as per the process described below.
1. PF Balance check using Missed Call Facility
By just giving a missed call to 011-22901406 from your registered Mobile number you can know your PFbalance without the UAN number. The details of last contribution and PF Balance are sent on your registered number free of cost.
A. What will happen after giving the missed call? The call will automatically get disconnected after two rings.
B. Who can enjoy this facility?
- Only the Members registered on the UAN portal can get their details.
- Registered Mobile Number should be activated with UAN at Unified Portal.
- Anyone of the following KYC must be done against your UAN.
a. Bank A/c Number
2. PF Balance check using Short Code SMS Service
By sending an SMS at 7738299899 from registered mobile number you can know your latest PF contribution and balance available. The best part is that this facility is available in 10 languages-English (default) and Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Bengali.
A. What SMS need to be sent to check the balance?
SMS Text- “EPFOHO UAN”
SMS Number – 7738299899
For getting the SMS in any of the languages other than English, the first three characters of the preferred language needs to be added after UAN.
For example, If you want to receive SMS in Telugu then SMS to be sent will be “EPFOHO UAN TEL” to 7738299899.
B. What will happen after sending SMS?
You will receive an SMS from EPFO containing the following details – last PF contribution and balance details along with available KYC information.
C. Who can enjoy this facility?
UAN activated Members whose KYC is done. In other words, it is the same as for using the missed call facility.
PF Balance check with UAN number
You can check your pf account balance online anytime by using either of the three options.Namely, EPFO Portal, EPFO App and UMANG App.Read below for step escribed below.
1. PF Balance check using EPFO
The EPFO has given two options to its members to check PF Balance-
- 3.1 It’s own portal i.e. from Employee’s Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)
- 3.2 It’s App– EPFO m-sewa
Let’s understand the process and requirements to use –
Employee’s Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) Portal-
It’s the most popular way of PF Balance check with UAN number. Follow the below steps to understand the working of the EPFO portal-
- Step 1: Visit the website
Step 2: On the left corner of the page, you’ll find the tab “Our Services” and in the drop down menu click on the option “For Employees”
Step 3: Under the services click on the “Members passbook” Or you can directly visit the page.
Step 4: Login your account with your UAN ID and Password.
Step 5: It will show you the complete list of your members IDs of all accounts linked with your UAN including EPF account details with current and previous employers.
Step 6: Now select the member id for which you want to check the PF balance, here you can see the passbook on the screen.
Who can not check the balance from EPFO Portal?
Members of establishments who are exempt under the EPF Scheme, 1952 are exempt from passbook facility and if you still try to log in to account you will get the message informing you as it belongs to the exempted establishment hence passbook is not available.
2. PF Balance check using EPFO App
You can easily download the m-sewa app from the Google Play Store. After installing the app, on your mobile phone click on the Balance/Passbook and in order to do that fill the details of UAN and registered mobile number.
As soon as you fill the above details on the screen, you will get the information of the passbook that you want to see.
3. PF Balance check using UMANG App
UMANG(Unified Mobile APP for New Governance) is a government app which provides a single platform to all Indian Citizens to access e-Gov services of Central, State and Local Government bodies and other citizen centric services. By using this app you can check the PF Balance.
A. How to use UMANG for PF?
For using The UMANG APP, you need to first download it from UMANG website or from the play/app stores or by giving a missed call 9718397183.
After installing the app on your mobile phone it will ask you to select the language of your preference. Further you will see all the government services coming under this app.
Click on the EPFO option on the homepage of the app and select “Employee Centric Services”.
Then click on ‘View Passbook’ and in the type put your UAN. Log in and enter the one time password (OTP) that you will receive on your registered mobile number.The OTP is valid for 30 minutes. After entering the OTP, you will be able to see your PF passbook from where you can check your PF Balance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Do I need to pay tax if I withdraw PF?
Ans. Whether you are required to pay tax while withdrawing money from EPF depends on certain conditions such as :
- If the amount withdrawn is less than Rs. 50,000 before completion of 5 years of the service then no TDS will be deducted.
- If EPF is withdrawn after 5 years of service, No TDS will be applicable.
- In case the amount withdrawn is more than 50,000 before the completion of 5 years of service, TDS will be deducted. Further, if you have submitted Form 15G or 15H then TDS will not be deducted.
Q- Can I withdraw money from PF after 5 years?
First of all, it needs to be understood that PF withdrawals after completion of the 5 years of service are tax-free and no TDS will be deducted from this. Still, you will be required to give a valid reason and documents to support your reason i.e- education, marriage, medical treatment etc
Q- How to withdraw full PF amount?
Only after retirement or at the time of unemployment for more than 2 months, You become eligible to withdraw your full PF amount. Otherwise, you are eligible to withdraw a certain percentage of the amount as per the case. For this, you have two options available- online or offline.Thus, You can withdraw the money from EPF by using online mode through EPFO portal or by submitting a physical application through offline means.
Q- Is EPF a part of 80C?
Q- How to check my PF balance?
Ans. PF balance can be checked by any of the following 4 methods-
- Using Missed call facility
- Through SMS
- By EPFO Portal
- Or by using UMANG app
Q- How to activate UAN?
Ans. You can activate your UAN either by UAN member portal or through sending sms on 7738299899 in the following format-
EPFOHO ACT enter your 12 digit UAN number and 22 digit member ID
For any assistance related to Income Tax Filing Services you can contact our expert CAs at https://tax2win.in/
People also ask
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on TDS in India
- TDS Return Filing Online
- Form 16B
- Form 16C
- Form 15G & 15H: Save TDS on Interest Income
- TRACES Login: Login into TDS TRACES Website
- TRACES Registration: Register on TDS TRACES Website
- Section 192 : TDS on Salary Computation under Income Tax Act
- Section 194L Series : Payment of Compensation on Acquisition of Capital Asset
- Section 194A: TDS on Interest other than Interest on Securities
- Section 194B & 194BB : TDS On Winning From Lottery Or Race Horse
- Section 194D & Section 194DA : TDS on Insurance Commission
- Section 194H: TDS on Commission & Brokerage
- Section 194I, 194IB & 194IC: TDS On Rent
- Section 194-IB: TDS On Rent Of Property
- Section 194G & Section 194H under Income Tax Act
- Section 194M: TDS on Payment to Resident Contractors and Professionals
- Section 195: TDS on NRI Selling Property In India
- TDS Challan ITNS 281: Pay TDS Online with e-Payment Tax
- TDS Payment Online: Procedure & Types Of Challans
- OLTAS Application: View challan status on TRACES
- Section 44AD: Presumptive Taxation Scheme
- TDS on Withdrawal from the EPF Account
- TDS Return on Salary Payment
- TDS Return on Payments to NRIs
- TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Post Office Monthly Income Scheme: Interest Rate & Features
- Difference between TDS in Income Tax and TDS in GST
- TDS Return Filing Online: Eligibility, Due Dates & Revised TDS
- Form 16B: Download TDS Certificate for Sale of Property
- Form 16C: TDS Certificate for Rent of Property
- Form 24Q: TDS Return on Salary Payment
- Form 26Q: TDS Return filing for Non Salary Deductions
- Form 26QB: TDS on Purchase of Immovable Property
- Form 27Q: TDS Return on Payments to NRIs