- Last Date to File ITR for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24) - Income Tax Return Due Date
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Documents Required for Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing in India FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- How to Calculate Income From House Property
- 80G Deduction: Claim Tax Benefits on Donations to Charitable Institutions
How to e-verify ITR using Aadhaar OTP
Verifying your income tax return (ITR) is the final step in the filing process. If you do not verify your ITR within 30 days of filing it, the return will be considered invalid under income tax laws. There are six ways through which one can verify the income tax return:-
- Aadhaar OTP Verification
- Net banking
- Bank account
- Demat account
- Bank ATM
- Offline via sending the signed ITR-V
In this guide, we have covered how to e-verify ITR through Aadhaar OTP verification.
What is the Importance of E-verification of ITR?
- Easiest Way - To complete the return filing, it is important to verify your ITR. If you fail to complete ITR verification, your ITR is considered invalid. The easiest way to do so is to e-verify ITR through Aadhaar.
- Time Period - You must complete an e-verification within 120 days of filing ITR. However, if you have filed ITR after the July 31st deadline, then the window to e-verify your tax return reduces to 30 days.
- Consequences of not verifying ITR - If the ITR is not e-verified within the stipulated timeframe, the ITR is considered invalid or not filed at all. In such a scenario, the provisions applicable to the non-filing of ITR might apply. Therefore, it is important to e-verify your ITR in time.
- Multiple ways of e-verification - There are 6 different ways to e-verify the ITR. This can be done using Aadhaar OTP verification sent on a registered mobile number, pre-validated bank account, demat account, EVC through ATM, net banking, and DSC.
What are the Steps to E-verify Using Aadhaar OTP?
Here are the steps to e-verify your ITR through the Aadhaar OTP verification process -
Step 1: Log on to the e-filing website
Go to the ‘e-file’ tab on the dashboard >> select ‘Income Tax Returns’ >> then select ‘e-verify ITR through Aadhaar return’.
Step 2: ‘I would like to e-verify using OTP on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar OTP verification‘. Select this option for verification through Aadhaar OTP. The condition is that your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhaar, and also your PAN-Aadhaar must be linked.
Step 3: Click on “ I agree to validate my Aadhaar Details, and generate Aadhar OTP for ITR (this OTP will be valid for 15 minutes only)
Step 4: The last step is to submit the OTP number. A successful message will be received” Return has been successfully verified
An acknowledgment will come that you can download it. Also, it will be sent to your mail address.