With the rapid increase in cyber frauds daily, sharing Unique 12 digit aadhaar number has become a point of caution for many. UIDAI came up with the solution of the same in the manner of VID (Virtual ID). It is an online generated temporary number which can be used in place of original aadhaar number for verification etc. This 16 digit temporary code can be shared with institutions for e-KYC and other purposes without exposing your aadhaar number to any possible threats. Apart from facilitating authentication and e KYC VID can also be used to download your aadhaar online from UIDAI.
What is VID?
According to UIDAI, Virtual ID is a temporary, revocable 16 digit random number that is mapped with the Aadhaar number. As it is a digital ID it can be regenerated by the holders various times. At present it is valid for a period of one day, that means new VID can be re-generated after the one day. The old VID gets deactivated as soon as the new one is generated. The VID allows you to authenticate transactions and e-know-your-customer (KYC) services instead of providing your Aadhaar number. The aadhaar virtual ID is generated through an OTP based registered mobile authentication. Which means, for using this service your mobile number should be registered in the UIDAI database.
What is the benefit of a generation of VID?
We have already understood above that VID can be used for authentication and e KYC. In addition to this Aadhaar Virtual ID has very distinct benefits and can be used for easing out a variety of services such as,
- For availing government subsidies
- To apply for Tatkaal Passport
- To open a bank account
- Opting new insurance policy etc
What is the process of generation of VID?
Aadhaar Virtual Id is of immense help in providing security to your aadhaar details. But, do you know the process of its generation. It is easy and can be done via the UIDAI official website. The step by step process of easy generation of your 16 digit virtual ID has been explained here
- Visit https://uidai.gov.in/ and go to My Aadhaar and then select Virtual ID (VID) Generator. Alternatively, you can directly click on https://resident.uidai.gov.in/vidgeneration
- Enter Aadhaar Number and security code
- Click on Send OTP
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Select the option Generate VID or Retrieve VID
- On submission, you will get the VID on your registered mobile number.
What are the unique features of Aadhaar Virtual ID?
Aadhaar Virtual ID is a 16 digit revocable number generated online to be used in place of your 12 digit aadhaar number. Providing the security against breach of your UID details. Apart from this Virtual ID has very distinct features such as
- It is a revocable number. I.e. you can cancel it any time
- It can be re-generated. The VID can be generated any number of times
- Aadhaar number cannot be tracked form VID
- It can be generated online from UIDAI government’s website.
- OTP is required for generating VID. The same shall be received on your registered mobile number.
- VID can be used to download online copy of your aadhaar.
- It is valid for one day presently and automatically expires after that.
- Can be generated free of cost without payment of any online charges
- No private or government institution is authorized to store or save your VID
- The old id gets deactivated automatically on generating a new one
- It is a 16 digit unique number to be used in place of your 12 digit aadhaar number
- Institutions cannot deny acceptance of VID instead of aadhaar number of authentication and e KYC.
My Mobile number is not registered with UIDAI, can I still generate VID?
Virtual Id can only be generated through OTP on your registered mobile number. In case your mobile number is not registered with UIDAI or linked to aadhaar you cannot generate Aadhaar Virtual ID.
Can VID e generated form Enrollment number also?
No VID can only be generated form aadhaar number and the same cannot be done through enrollment number. But you can use enrollment number to download your aadhaar online. To find out your aadhaar number in case the physical copy is not traceable.
I have generated a new Virtual ID. Should I use an old or new ID?
The virtual id can be regenerated any number of times. But, when you generate a new ID the old one automatically gets deactivated. In this case, you should use the new ID generated.
Is Virtual Id also a 12 digit number like aadhaar?
No the virtual Id is a 16 digit number. It is not of 12 characters like aadhaar.
From where I can generate my Virtual ID?
The aadhaar virtual ID can be generated from UIDAI official government website.
What is the validity period of the virtual ID?
The virtual Id at present is valid for one day.
People also ask
- E-Aadhar Card Download
- Aadhar Card Centers - Find Aadhaar Enrolment Centres Nearby
- Aadhar Card Update/Correction
- Link Aadhaar Card with PAN Card Online
- How to Generate Virtual ID (VID)?
- Aadhar Card for Children - How to Apply or Enrol for Minor?
- Check Aadhaar Card Application Online
- Documents Required To Apply Aadhaar Card
- Aadhar Card Download - & Print e-Aadhaar Card
- How to e verify ITR using Aadhaar OTP?
- Fill Aadhaar Card Enrolment Form
- How to Apply for Aadhaar Card Online?
- Link Aadhaar with Ration Card Online/Offline
- Link Aadhaar Card to Bank Account Online and Offline
- Link Aadhaar with Post Office Schemes: PPF, NSC, KVP
- Link Aadhaar with UAN and PF Online/Offline
- Link Aadhar with Mobile Number Online/OTP
- Link Aadhaar with Driving Licence Online & Offline
- Aadhaar Card for NRI