- Income Tax Slab & Tax Rates for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Form 16: What is Form 16? Form 16 Meaning, Format & How to Upload
- Tax Benefits on Housing Loans for Home Buyers
- Section 234F: Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return
Aadhaar Virtual ID (VID)-How to Generate aadhaar Virtual ID?
With the rapid increase in cyber frauds daily, sharing a Unique 12-digit aadhaar number has become a point of caution for many. UIDAI came up with the idea of VID (Virtual ID). It is an online generated temporary number that can be used instead of the original Aadhaar number for verification and various authentication. This 16-digit VID no. can be shared with institutions for eKYC and other purposes without revealing your aadhaar number to any possible threats. Apart from facilitating authentication and eKYC, VID can also be used to download your aadhaar online from UIDAI.
What is VID?
According to UIDAI, Virtual ID is a temporary, revocable 16-digit random number mapped with Aadhaar. It is a virtual ID and can be re-generated an infinite number of times. It is only valid for one day, which means new VID can be re-generated after one day. The old VID gets deactivated as soon as the new one is generated. The VID allows you to authenticate transactions and eKYC services instead of providing your Aadhaar number. The aadhaar virtual ID is generated through an OTP received on your mobile number linked to your Aadhaar.If you haven’t linked or registered your mobile number to your Aadhaar yet, you must link it to generate VID or use your Aadhaar for various authentication and transactions.
What are the benefits of VID generation?
We have already discussed above, that VID can be used for authentication and eKYC. In addition to this, Aadhaar Virtual ID has very distinct benefits and can be used for easing out a variety of services such as,
- For availing of government subsidies
- To apply for Tatkaal Passport
- Opening a bank account
- Opting for new insurance policies, etc
What is the process of VID generation?
Aadhaar Virtual Id is of immense help in providing security to your Aadhaar details. But do you know the process of VID generation?
It is easy and can be done via the UIDAI official government website or from mAadhaar android and ios apps. The step-by-step process of
VID generation is explained below via https://uidai.gov.in/en/ is explained below.
- Visit https://uidai.gov.in, go to My Aadhaar and then select Virtual ID (VID) Generator.
- Enter Aadhaar Number and security code
- Click on Send OTP
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Select the option Generate VID or Retrieve VID
- On submission, you will receive the VID on your registered mobile number.
VID generation is explained below via SMS.
VID can be generated by sending an SMS in 1947. We have to type “GVIDLast 4 digits of aadhaar number” and send it to 1947 VIA registered mobile number.
What are the unique features of the Aadhaar Virtual ID?
Aadhaar Virtual ID is a 16-digit revocable random number generated online to be temporarily used instead of your 12-digit Aadhaar number. Providing security against breach of your UID details. Apart from this, Virtual ID has very distinct features such as:
- It is a revocable number. i.e., you can cancel it at any time
- The VID can be generated infinite number of times
- Aadhaar number cannot be tracked from VID
- It can be generated online from the UIDAI official website or mAadhaar android and ios apps.
- OTP received on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number is required for generating VID.
- VID can be used to download an online copy of your aadhaar.
- It is valid for one day presently and automatically expires after that.
- UIDAI does not charge a fee for generating the VID.
- No private or government institution is authorized to store your VID
- The old VID gets deactivated automatically upon generating a new one
- It is a 16-digit alternate number to be used instead of your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Institutions must accept VID instead of aadhaar number of authentication and eKYC.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- My Mobile number is not registered with UIDAI, can I still generate VID?
Virtual Id can only be generated through OTP on your registered mobile number. If your mobile number is not registered with UIDAI or linked to aadhaar, you must link your phone number with Aadhaar.
Q- Can VID generate the form Enrollment number?
No, VID can only be generated from the Aadhaar number, which cannot be done through an enrollment number. But you can use the enrollment number to download your Aadhaar online. Find out your aadhaar number in case the physical copy is not traceable.
Q- I have generated a new Virtual ID. Can I use an old or new ID?
The virtual id can be re-generated an infinite number of times. But when you generate a new VID, the old one gets deactivated. I.e., you can only use the newly generated VID numbers.
Q- Is Virtual Id also a 12-digit number like aadhaar?
The virtual Id is a 16-digit number and is only valid for one day.
Q- Where can I generate my Virtual ID?
The aadhaar virtual ID can be generated from UIDAI's official government website or mAadhaar app for Android and ios.It can be generated by sending an SMS to 1947 also.
Q- What is the validity period of the virtual ID?
VID for aadhaar is only valid for 1 day, if you need VID after one day, you can generate new VID.