- Last Date to File ITR for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24) - Income Tax Return Due Date
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Documents Required for Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing in India FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- How to Calculate Income From House Property
- 80G Deduction: Claim Tax Benefits on Donations to Charitable Institutions
PAN Card Verification Online
Permanent Account Number or PAN is a nationalized identity card that is used to carry out any financial transactions in India. From buying gold, to opening a bank account, every transaction above a certain limit needs to be verified by your PAN card.
PAN card is set in a 10-digit unique identification alphanumeric number with lifetime validity. PAN card application is a very easy and simple process and can be done online via the NSDL and UTIITSL websites. PAN card is a mode to identify taxpayers in India and thus is highly important to verify the PAN card details with the Income Tax database.
In this comprehensive guide, we will cover. How to verify your PAN Card? What are the types of online PAN card verification? And much more.
What is Online PAN Verification?
PAN verification allows people to check the authenticity of their PAN. PAN card verification can be done easily online in the comfort of your home and need not physically visit the income tax office for this. The government and non-government sites verify the identity, documents submitted and address of the PAN applicants. The Income Tax department has authorized Protean eGov Technologies Ltd(Protean) which enables eligible entities to verify PANs online.
Furthermore, your PAN card verification can be done by someone else too on your behalf if they have all the relevant details provided by you.
What are the ways to verify your PAN Card?
The e-Governance service provides online verification of PAN cards. There are three ways through which PAN card verification can be done:-
- File and Screen based
- Screen Based
- Software Based
- File and Screen based Verification
This type of verification is majorly done by organizations or the government who wish to verify up to 1,000 PAN Cards at one time.
- Under this the user has to first login into the account.
- Here he/she can upload a file containing a maximum of 1000 PAN cards (file structure is provided by Protean)
- Once the file is uploaded, click submit.
- Now within 24 hours, you will get the details of the PAN card on the screen.
- The file structure uploaded should be done correctly as per mentioned format otherwise the website will reject the request.
- Screen-Based Verification
- Every user who is willing to verify a PAN card, will have to login first.
- Number of PAN card details that can be given under this is limited to 5 screens. Add the numbers to the screen.
- Once you submit, the details of PAN will be visible on your screen
- Software (API) -Based Verification
- PAN can be verified online by a verification site through a software application.
Further ways to do PAN verification in easy steps are-
- PAN verification via PAN CARD
- PAN verification by AADHAAR number
- Login to the Online PAN Verification website:-
- Click on the PAN Verification in the navigation bar, then select the link
https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/ in step 1, now you will see the pop-up window in the portal.
Step 2: Click on the ‘PAN Verification’ in the left hand side navigation bar
Step 3: Filled out your PAN, Full name, date of birth and registered mobile number
Step 4: After filling the PAN Card details, an OTP would be sent to your registered mobile number, Please enter the OTP and validate the PAN card
Submit the form, your current PAN status will be displayed. If the PAN is active and the information is already registered with the database, a screen similar to this will be displayed to you.
Once a message like this appears, be assured that your PAN is active and your information is up-to-date in the Income Tax department database.
PAN verification responses to users
Possible outcomes of PAN verification:
- If the PAN is valid and there are no events such as acquisition, merger, etc., you will see the PAN status, the last date of PAN update, the name printed on the PAN card, and the name of the PAN holder.
- If the PAN is valid, but there are events such as acquisition, merger, etc., you will also see the name of the PAN holder, the PAN status along with the event, the name printed on the card, and the last date of the PAN update.
- If the PAN is fake, you will see a message saying ‘Fake’ without any other details.
- If the PAN is deactivated or deleted, you will see a message saying ‘Deactivated’ or ‘Deleted’ without any other details.
- If the PAN is not found in the Income Tax Department database, you will see a message saying, ‘Not present in ITD database.’
PAN verification by Aadhaar Card
- Visits the income tax e-filing website.
- Herein you will find the ‘Link Aaadhaar’ option under ‘Quick Links’.
- You will be redirected to online PAN verification page.
- Enter the PAN and Aadhaar number details under ‘Link Aadhaar Status’
- Under the ‘‘View Link Aadhaar Status’, the details regarding your PAN card verification with the Aadhaar number will be provided.
What are the details which will be displayed when the PAN card is verified?
Following details will be displayed:-
|PAN card verification||Details displayed in PAN Verification|
|Valid PAN||Status of PAN, PAN holder name, PAN update last date,Name printed on PAN card,Status of Aadhaar Seeding|
|Valid PAN with events such as a merger, acquisition, etc.||Name printed on PAN card, Status of PAN along with event
PAN holder name, PAN update last date
|Deleted or Deactivated||‘Deleted’ or ‘Marked as Deactivated’ will be displayed|
|Fake PAN||The status will be displayed as ‘Marked as Fake’.|
|PAN card not found in database||A message, ‘Not present in the ITD (income tax department) database’ will display|
What are the documents required to register for the Online PAN verification?
The list of documents to register for the Online PAN verification:-
Organization details required are:-
- Name of the organization
- PAN and TAN of the organization
- Contact details of the organization
- Personal details of the organization
- Category of the organization
Digital Signature Certificate Details required:-
- Name of the certifying authority
- Class of digital signature certificate
- Serial number of digital signature certification
- Validity Period of DSC
Payment Details required are:-
- Mode of payment
- Payment amount
- Number of instruments
- Issuing Bank & Branch Name
- Date of payment Instrument
What are the charges to avail of the Online PAN Verification facility?
|Minimum payable charges||Screen Based||File and Screen Based||Software (API) Based|
|Annual Registration Charges (₹)||12,000||12,000||12,000|
|Goods and Services Tax (GST) @18% (₹)||2,160||2,160||2,160|
|Total Registration/Annual Charges(₹)||14,160||14,160||14,160|
|Initial Advance (₹) (Inclusive of GST as applicable)||NA||As desired||As desired|
|Free PAN card verification per day (Subject to change based on the cumulative number of PANs verified in F.Y.)||Upto 750 only||
|Charges above free PANs verification (₹)||NA||Above 750 charges will apply as per Table No 1||Refer Table no. 2|
Charges for File based PAN verification
|Table No 1|
|Count of PANs in the file||Charges (₹)|
|Table No 2|
|Slabs (PANs verified during a financial year)||Rate (paisa)||Maximum Daily Free Limit|
|Upto 7.5 Lakhs||30||750|
|> 7.5 Lakhs <= 15 Lakhs||25||1,000|
|>15 Lakhs <= 30 Lakhs||15||1,500|
|above 30 Lakhs||5||2,500|
What is the process of verification of PAN card in Bulk?
Bulk PAN verification involves checking thousands of PAN records against the Income Tax Department database. The introduction of Bulk PAN verification is introduced for external agencies like the state government departments, the central government departments and other recognized autonomous bodies to reduce the time taken to check PAN for various requirements. To access the portal of Income Tax India E-Filing website for bulk PAN verification, entities must register by submitting a requisition letter.
Step1: Register yourself as the agency of bulk verification by visiting at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
Step2: Now, Click on the Bulk PAN Query tab and click on Upload Query, For Bulk PAN Query Template is supported in the CSV format. You can enter up to 100 entries with the following details– PAN Card Number, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Date of Birth/Incorporation/Formation (DD-MMM-YYYY), Gender, and Name of Organization. On successful validation, generate a JSON.
Step3: Upload your query in the specified format mentioned and hit the button on submit.
Step 4: Once you upload the file, a token number is generated. A success message is displayed on the screen along with the Transaction ID and a Token Number. Make sure you noted down the Transaction ID and Token Number for future reference. You will also receive a confirmation message on your email ID registered on the e-Filing portal.
Under this, verification can be done through file-based, software-based or screen-based. It depends on the choice of the user. Although this facility is chargeable on an annual basis. Registration under this costs Rs.12000/- plus GST.
How to register for bulk PAN verification as an authorized agency?
- 'Register Yourself' on the homepage of the Indian Government's Tax E-filing website.
- Click the 'Bulk PAN Verification User' button, to select a user.
- Provide the details of PAN/TAN card of the agency, password details, PAN of the person who will act as the organization's communication details, principal contact, and digital signature certificate. The user performing bulk PAN verification must provide an authorization letter signed by the agency's head.
- Click the 'Submit' button.
- PAN request will be evaluated, and approval will be granted upon receipt of all documents.
- As per the evaluation, an email with the activation link and User ID details will be sent to the registered email address.
- To complete the process, the user must now log in with a new User ID and the Password they registered.
How Can I Do Bulk PAN Verification Under The User Paying Model?
User Pays Model for bulk PAN verification can be used only by approved government and non-government organizations. The service is billed on an annual basis. It is a PAN verification process that is software-based. The registration fee for using this facility for bulk verification is Rs.12000, which includes 18% GST. This facility can be renewed on an annual basis. Renewal fees are the same as initial registration fees.
In User Paying Model, a set number of free PAN verifications are provided to the agency. If the verification request exceeds the limit, the user must pay separately for using the account created for the service provider.If an agency uses the API-based or file and screen-based PAN verification service, it must keep a sufficient deposit against its User ID in order to verify the PAN numbers.
How to view previous Token Details?
Firstly check if you are allowed to use this facility provided by the department. If yes, then follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: To view the details and status of previous tokens generated, click Previous Token Details, On the screen you are able to see the status of the bulk summary of the token and query processed. You can see the status of the processed queries and pending queries.
You can select the type of query you want to upload, at the bottom left you can filter your query.You can also download the file by clicking the download icon at the right hand side.
The uploaded bulk PAN / TAN query will be verified with the details in the CBN database.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Who is authorized to perform PAN card verification?
Only certain agencies and organizations have been permitted to carry out verification such as central and state government agencies, the Reserve Bank of India, Corporations that need to provide Annual Information Returns (AIR), etc
Q- What if my application is rejected by ITD?
You will get a refund in case your application is rejected by ITD.
Q- What are the annual registration charges for availing online PAN verification?
The registration charges are 12000 p.a. plus Goods and Services Tax (GST). This facility is provided for one year and can be renewed on a yearly basis. Annual renewal charges are also 12000 p.a. plus Goods and Services Tax (GST).
Q- Can I send the documents to avail online PAN verification via email?
No, the required documents cannot be sent through email. The applicant should send the supporting documents through courier/post to Protean (formerly NSDL eGov)/UTITSL.
Q- How do I verify PAN using PAN number?
PAN verification using PAN number can be done online by following the given steps : A) Login to income tax efiling website using PAN number and password. B) Go to profile settings --->> my profile to view details.
Q- How to track the status of registration for online PAN verification?
An organisation who has attempted to register for Online PAN verification can check its registration status by using the acknowledgement number provided. If the registration is successful a message bearing the same will be displayed on the screen along with the User ID. A message indicating the rejection will be displayed if it was rejected.
Q- For how long can I avail this facility?
The facility of Online PAN verification can be availed for a year at a time. Thereafter, it is required to be renewed annually.
Q- Who is eligible to carry out online PAN verification?
All individuals and companies are eligible for online PAN verification.
Q- Can an entity renew its PAN verification facility?
Yes, an entity can renew its PAN verification system online by logging into the official website with user ID and the digital signature.
Q- Will I need to enter the full name for PAN verification?
Yes, taxpayers need to enter their full name for PAN verification.
Q- Can I know my PAN by logging into the e-filing website of the Government of India?
No, Taxpayer cannot know his PAN because the PAN is itself a login ID.
Q- Will there be any Swachh Bharat Cess (SBC) for PAN verification?
Yes, there will be Swachh Bharat Cess (SBC) at 0.5%. You will have to pay Rs.60 for all the types of verification methods.
Q- Will I need to pay any initial advance for PAN verification?
Yes, You will need to pay an initial advance.
Q- What is the eligibility to avail of the bulk PAN verification?
Bulk PAN verification is available for authorized government and non-governmnet agencies. Agencies such as the DGFT, CBEC, FIU, banks, UTIISL, NSDL, and MCA are the examples.
Q- Can an individual taxpayer avail the bulk PAN verification?
No, an individual taxpayer cannot avail of this service. It is made available only for authorized agencies.
Q- What is the charge for bulk PAN verification?
The first 750 PAN verification has no charges. Beyond that, a nominal fee of Rs.0.05 to Rs.0.30 per entry charge is applicable.
Q- How many queries can be entered in one bulk verification file?
A maximum of 100 queries can be added in one bulk verification file.
Q- What is the validity of an external agency to verify bulk PAN/TAN once registered?
As long as the registration is valid, the external agency can verify bulk PAN cars.
Q- Is there a software/solution for bulk PAN verification?
Yes there is a software solution for bulk PAN verification. It is given on NSDL website and is known as software (API) - based PAN card verification.