Aadhaar linking has been made easy
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) is accountable for issuing and renewing the driving license for every state. However, as every state and union territory have their separate ministry that controls road transport and highways, the process of Aadhaar linkage might vary from one state and UT to the other.
As far as linking these two documents is concerned, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) has worked-out an easy process for hassle-free linking. You can initiate the linkage process through the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of your state. It’s the same website where the residents of India register their driving license.
How to link your Aadhaar with your driving license?
Although the procedure of linking your driving license with Aadhaar might vary from one place to the other, the standard protocol is the same. Here are the steps for linking the same online. Take a look –
- Go for the official website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of your state or Union Territory
- Go to the 'Link Aadhaar' button and click on it
- Choose the 'Driving License' button from the drop-down menu
- Fill in the number of your driving license and click of the ‘Get Details’ button
- Relevant details of your driving license will appear on the screen, automatically
- Now, enter the 12 digits of your Aadhaar card number along with your contact number (the contact number should be the same one that you have registered with the UIDAI)
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button
- Once you are done, OTP (One Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile phone number
- Enter the OTP in the relevant box and receive a confirmation message on the registered mobile phone number
Points to remember
Before submitting your application and completing the process of registration, make sure to review all the information properly. It will help you correct any mistakes in the form. Remember, a mistake can lead to the rejection of your application. So, be careful.
Why the government of India is thinking to link Aadhaar with driving license?
You might be wondering, in the same timeline wherein linking Aadhaar with certain personal documents is facing quite a lot of backlash, why the ministry is planning to make linking Aadhaar to driving license mandatory? Well, having such questions in mind is quite obvious in regard to this scenario. Go through the below-mentioned pointers to understand the reasons behind the new proposed law –
1. Putting a stop on duplication of driver's licenses
In the current scenario, it is quite easy for individuals to obtain duplicate driving licenses. And, there are many cases wherein one person is seen to have multiple driving licenses. Simply put, such an act is not permissible by the law. Most importantly, a driving license allotted in one state of India is valid all over the country. So, there is no point in having multiple documents. Plus, there are many unscrupulous entities that misuse such documents for unlawful practices. And, that’s the main concern of the governing bodies.
Linking driving licenses to Aadhaar car will restrict the unlawful possession of more than one driver's license. As multiple driving licenses having the same number cannot be linked to Aadhaar, the unlinked ones would be deactivated once the scheduled deadline is over. Licensees having multiple driving licenses can surrender their additional licenses at the RTOs, voluntarily.
2. Making identification easy and better
According to the government of India, linking Aadhaar card with driving license will make the correct identification of the license holders easy.
An example will help you understand it in a better way –
Many times, an individual who is responsible for an accident, absconds the sight, gets himself a
duplicate license, and escapes the punishment owing to improper identification. However, once
driving license will be linked to the Aadhaar, it would become easy to get the correct
identification of the license holder.
With Aadhaar linked to the driving license, one can even change his or her name, changing the biometrics won't be possible. The moment he or she will make an application for a duplicate license, the system will notify the relevant bodies about the same, and a duplicate will not be issued.
3. Timely payment of fines
In light of the current situation, there are a number of people who either refrain from making the payment for penalties issues against their names for a considerably long period of time or get a duplicate or new license if the amount of penalty is very high. It is definitely not the right thing to do, isn’t it?
However, once Aadhaar is linked to driving license, the license holders will have no excuses for avoiding fines. And, the authorities will be able to find the individuals who are involved in such incidences. So, it would be an added advantage for the country, in terms of maintaining law and order. It would also be a good step for the citizens too.
4. The correct use of driving licenses
A driving license in India allows the license holder to drive a particular type of vehicles. Some people are only allowed to drive 2-wheeler or 4-wheeler, while some are allowed to drive both along with other classes of vehicles. However, sometimes people do breach this rule and drive a vehicle they are not allowed to. It sometimes leads to severe accidents.
After the linkage of Aadhaar with driving license, such incidences can be controlled to a great extent. Always remember, both driving license and Aadhaar are crucial. Therefore, every Indian citizen should respect the law and do what is in favor of the country’s law and order system.To sum up, linking driving license to Aadhaar will help in the following –
- Finding multiple license holders that’s otherwise hard to find
- Finding duplicate license holders that’s not good for the country
- Aiding in seamless of operation of the transport functions to allow the residents of India live freely
States that allow Aadhaar-Driving license linking
If you are wondering where can you find the link to the website corresponding your state or UT so that you can do the needful online, here is the list of states along with the corresponding URL where you can link your Aadhaar with your driving license. Refer to the table given as under and do the duties of a responsible citizen of India.
Is it the first-time you are applying for a driving license?
Are you making an application for a driving license for the first time? If yes, then you need not to do anything for linking the same with your Aadhaar card because it would be done automatically. The reason - you would anyway require to submit your Aadhaar card (as an identity proof) with the documents supporting your application. Remember, linking these two documents is very useful in the long run because it will help in streamlining the process of identification, and many more.
While Aadhaar is mandated for receiving the benefits proposed by the Government of India, it has become an indispensable tool to check duplications, and root out unfavourable elements from the society. The method of linking Aadhaar to your driving license is seamless and the reason to link seems logical. Whether you drive a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler or a commercial vehicle, with all this information in hand, it is now time to start thinking about linking your driving license to your Aadhaar card.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about linking your driving license to your Aadhaar card. Hopefully, these will help you clear all your confusions and doubts about the process and you will be able to make an informed decision. Let’s take a look at the FAQs given below –
Q- Can you link your Aadhaar to your driving license online?
Presently the service has been suspended, but if it is made available in future the same can be done online.
Q- How can you link your Aadhaar card to a driving license online?
- Open the website of the Road Transport Department of your state
- Choose the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Then go to the ‘Driving License’ option from the drop-down list
- Put your driving license number and click on the ‘Get Details’ button
- Now enter your Aadhaar number and registered mobile phone number
- Thereafter, you need to click on the ‘Submit’ button
- Upon entering all the details and submitting the form, a One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered mobile phone number
- Enter the OTP and click on confirm
- Once your form is submitted, a confirmation message will be sent to your email id and registered contact number
Q- Linking Aadhaar card to driving license. Is it mandatory?
Although the Government of India is planning to mandate linking Aadhaar card to driving license for obvious reasons, the process has not been mandated yet. However, anytime soon, it might become compulsory for all license holders to link their respective driving licenses with their Aadhaar cards.
Q- What if you don’t have an Aadhaar card yet?
If you don’t have an Aadhaar card, then you are allowed to submit any alternate document(s) such as certificate of birth, passport etc. However, it is advisable to get your Aadhaar card as soon as possible because it is a very important document for the Indian residents.
Q- Can you use your e-Aadhaar card for linking it to the driving licence?
Yes, you can very much use your e-Aadhaar card for linking it to the driving licence. The thing is – it does not matter if you have an e-Aadhaar or a hard copy of the same. The reason – you only need to enter the 12-digit number given on your Aadhaar card that's the same everywhere, no matter if you get it from your e-Aadhaar or a hard copy of the same.
Q- Is the process of linking Aadhaar to your driving license the same in all states?
Although different states have different rules and regulations when it comes to road transport, the standard process of the linkage is the same. You can refer to question number 2 for the steps of linking Aadhaar to your driving license or you can refer the table given above to find the link to the website where you can do the same as per your state or union territory. To sum up, the standard procedure is the same everywhere. So, you can get it done easily regardless of the state you belong to.
Q- What benefits does linking your Aadhaar to your driving license offer?
Some of the main benefits of linking your Aadhaar to your driving license are given as under -
- First of all, it becomes easy for the relevant authorities to find the individuals who have more than one driver's license.
- Secondly, finding individuals having fake or duplicate driving license will also become easy.
- And, lastly, it would aid in the smooth and seamless functioning of the transport operation of the states allowing the citizens of India take a sigh of great relief.
Last Date : New
People also ask
- E-Aadhar Card Download
- Aadhar Card Centers - Find Aadhaar Enrolment Centres Nearby
- Aadhar Card Update/Correction
- Link Aadhaar Card with PAN Card Online
- How to Generate Virtual ID (VID)?
- Aadhar Card for Children - How to Apply or Enrol for Minor?
- Check Aadhaar Card Application Online
- Documents Required To Apply Aadhaar Card
- Aadhar Card Download - & Print e-Aadhaar Card
- How to e verify ITR using Aadhaar OTP?
- Fill Aadhaar Card Enrolment Form
- How to Apply for Aadhaar Card Online?
- Link Aadhaar with Ration Card Online/Offline
- Link Aadhaar Card to Bank Account Online and Offline
- Link Aadhaar with Post Office Schemes: PPF, NSC, KVP
- Link Aadhaar with UAN and PF Online/Offline
- Link Aadhar with Mobile Number Online/OTP
- Link Aadhaar with Driving Licence Online & Offline
- Aadhaar Card for NRI