- Last Date to File ITR for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24) - Income Tax Return Due Date
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Documents Required for Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing in India FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- How to Calculate Income From House Property
- 80G Deduction: Claim Tax Benefits on Donations to Charitable Institutions
How to Download ITR-V Acknowledgement from the Department website?
Verifying your income tax return is a crucial step in the tax filing process in India. ITR filing is not considered complete until it has been properly verified. The verification of an income tax return confirms that the information provided in the return is true and accurate to the best of the taxpayer's knowledge. It also helps prevent fraudulent or incorrect filings.
Electronic verification can be done using various methods:-
- Digital Signature Certificate
- Aadhaar OTP
- Electronic Verification Code (using bank account / demat account)
- Physical verification
In cases where electronic verification is not possible, taxpayers can physically verify their return by submitting a signed ITR-V (Income Tax Return-Verification) form to the Centralized Processing Center (CPC) in Bangalore. The ITR-V serves as proof of verification. Let us know about ITR-V.
What is ITR verification?
Verification means proving the authenticity of your income tax return. After you file your income tax return, the income tax department will need to verify the authenticity of your return .If the verification of your ITR is not done within 30 days, then your ITR filed earlier will be considered invalid. To do so, the department sends ITR Form V, which stands for ‘Income Tax Return – Verification’. You are required to sign and submit it to the income tax department for verification, after which your filing process will be complete.
What is ITR V acknowledgment Form?
ITR Form V is a one-page document sent by the income tax department when returns are filed but not verified. You must either e-verify your income tax return or sign this document and send it to the Central Processing Centre of the income tax department in Bangalore.
How to get Form ITR V Acknowledgement on the new portal?
ITR Form V is usually sent by the income tax department directly to your email. You are then required to print the form, sign it, and send it to the Central Processing Centre in Bangalore.
Process to Download ITR Acknowledgement
You can also download the form online if you do not receive an email from the department. To download, the following steps should be taken –
Visit the official website of the income tax department and log in to your account.
On your dashboard, click on the e-file and hover to Income tax return. Click on ‘View Filed Returns.
You will see a page with your filed returns. Click on the download form button next to your return details.
Once the receipt is downloaded, send it to CPC Banglore within 30 days of filing the return.
Submission of the ITR –V to CPC Bangalore
Your signed ITR –V is put in an envelope and sent through a post to the income tax department’s Central Processing Centre in Bangalore. The address is 1st Floor, Prestige Alpha No 48/1 48/2, Beratenaagrahara Begur, Hosur Rd, Uttarahalli Hobli, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560100.
Important things to know about ITR-V when submitting it to CPC Bangalore
Here are some important facts which you should know about filing, signing, and submitting ITR-V –
- When sending ITR-V in an envelope, each envelope should contain only one ITR-V form of one taxpayer.
- The ITR-V form should be signed and submitted within 30 days of filing your income tax returns.
- If the ITR-V form is not submitted either by submission to the CPC or by EVC mode or Aadhar OTP within 30 days from the date of filing the returns, Your ITR will be invalid (It means you have not filed ITR )
- The form should be printed in black and it should be easily legible.
- You should put your signature on the form in blue ink.
- The form contains a bar code and a number beneath it. The bar code and the numbers should be clearly seen. You should not sign on them
- Use of a stapler should be avoided and the form should not be folded
- The form should be sent in an A4-sized white envelope
- The form should be sent through speed post or ordinary post and should not be couriered.
Important things to know about ITR-V when verifying through EVC
When verifying the returns through EVC code or Aadhar OTP, the following should be kept in mind –
- Verification should be done using only one mode
- The verification code is for one-time use only
- If verifying through mobile number or email id, the number or id should be registered with the income tax department
So, know what form ITR-V is, how to fill it and why it is necessary and complete your income tax filing by sending the ITR-V to the Income Tax Department.
How long does it take to receive the receipt for acknowledgment?
You should get the receipt for acknowledgment in your email id within 3 weeks of mailing your ITR-V form. If you don’t get it by then, you have to mail another copy of your income tax returns to the CPC income tax department.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Can I get a duplicate Form ITR –V?
Yes, you can. If you lose Form ITR-V, which the income tax department mailed you, you can always visit the income tax department’s online website, log into your account and download another copy of the form. Even if you had downloaded the form earlier, you can download it again if you lose the initial copy.
Q- Can I send a Xerox copy of Form ITR-V?
No, the original copy of the form, containing your original signature should be sent.
Q- What is the due date for submitting ITR-V for verification?
You get a period of up to 30 days from the date of filing your returns for submitting Form ITR-V.
Q- What happens when the form is not submitted within the given time?
If you fail to submit ITR-V within 30 days of filing your income tax returns, your return would become invalid and it would not be processed by the income tax department. You might also get a tax notice for non-submission of the ITR-V Form.
Q- Which documents should be submitted along with ITR-V?
You don’t need to submit any other document besides ITR-V.
Q- Is it possible to verify the income tax return without submitting Form ITR-V?
Yes, the income tax return can be verified even without Form ITR-V. The verification can be done using the online mode through your email id, phone number, Pan Card, Aadhar card, etc.
Q- I forgot my Acknowledgement Number, from where I can get it?
You can get your 15-digit acknowledgment number from ITR V.