- File ITR
What is ITR verification?
Verification means proving the authenticity of your income tax return. After you file your income tax online and you have not attached the digital signature of your returns, the income tax department would need to verify the authenticity of your return. To do so, the department sends ITR Form V which stands for ‘Income Tax Return – Verification’. You are required to fill this form and submit it to the income tax department for verification after which your tax filing process would be complete.
What is ITR Form V?
ITR Form V is a one-page document that is sent by the income tax department when returns are filed without a digital signature. You are required to sign this document and send it to the Central Processing Centre of the income tax department which is located in Bangalore.
How to get ITR Form V on the new portal?
ITR Form V is usually sent by the income tax department directly to your email id. You are then required to print the form, sign it and send it to the Central Processing Centre located in Bangalore.
If, however, you do not receive an email from the department, you can also download the form online. To download, the following steps should be taken –
Visit the official website of the income tax department and log in to your account.
On your dashboard, click on e-file and hover to Income tax return. Click on ‘View Returns/Forms’.
You will see a page with your filed returns. Click on the download form button next to your return details.
Once the form is downloaded, fill it and send it to CPC Banglore before 120 days of filing return.
Submission of the ITR –V to CPC Bangalore
You can sign the ITR –V put it in an envelope and send a post to the income tax department’s Central Processing Centre in Bangalore. The address is Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Box No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore-560500, Karnataka.
Verification through EVC Mode
The ITR –V form can also be verified using the EVC mode. Through the EVC mode, a code is generated and verification is done through any of the following means –
- Your email id and mobile number
- Aadhar card
- Net banking facilities
- Bank account details
- Demat account
Submission of the form to CPC Bangalore v/s EVC verification
Though both the methods include verification of the income tax returns, they differ from each other in various aspects. These aspects include the following –
|Submission to CPC Bangalore||EVC verification|
|This is a physical method of verifying the income tax returns||This is an online method of verifying the income tax returns|
|It takes some time for the mail to reach the Bangalore office after which the verification process is completed||This is done instantly through a code|
|A charge is incurred in sending the post to the Bangalore office||This method of verification is free of cost and easy.|
Important things to know about ITR-V when submitting it to CPC Bangalore
Here are some important facts which you should know about filing, signing and submitting ITR-V –
- When sending ITR-V in an envelope, each envelope should contain only one ITR-V form of one taxpayer
- The ITR-V form should be signed and submitted within 120 days of filing your income tax returns
- If the ITR-V form is not filed within 120 days of filing the returns and if it is not submitted either by submission to the CPC or by EVC mode, you would get an income tax notice from the department
- The form should be printed in black and it should be easily legible
- You should put your signature on the form in blue ink
- The form contains a bar code and a number beneath it. The bar code and the numbers should be clearly seen. You should not sign on them
- Use of stapler should be avoided and the form should not be folded
- The form should be sent in an A4 sized white envelope
- The form should be sent through speed post or ordinary post and should not be couriered.
Important things to know about ITR-V when verifying through EVC
When verifying the returns through EVC code, the following should be kept in mind –
- Verification should be done using only one mode
- The verification code is for one-time use only
- If verifying through mobile number or email id, the number or id should be registered with the income tax department
So, know what form ITR-V is, how to fill it and why it is necessary and complete your income tax filing by sending the ITR-V to the income tax department.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- Can I get a duplicate Form ITR –V?
Yes, you can. If you lose Form ITR-V which the income tax department mailed you, you can always visit the income tax department’s online website, log into your account and download another copy of the form. Even if you had downloaded the form earlier, you can download it again if you lose the initial copy.
Q- Can I send a Xerox copy of Form ITR-V?
No, the original copy of the form, containing your original signature should be sent.
Q- What is the due date for submitting ITR-V for verification?
You get a period of up to 120 days from the date of filing your returns for submitting Form ITR-V.
Q- What happens when the form is not submitted within the given time?
If you fail to submit ITR-V within 120 days of filing your income tax returns, your return would become invalid and it would not be processed by the income tax department. You might also get a tax notice for non-submission of the ITR-V Form.
Q- Which documents should be submitted along with ITR-V?
You don’t need to submit any other document besides ITR-V.
Q- Is it possible to verify the income tax return without submitting Form ITR-V?
Yes, the income tax return can be verified even without Form ITR-V. The verification can be done using the online mode through your email id, phone number, Pan Card, Aadhar card, etc.
Q- I forgot my Acknowledgement Number, from where I can get it?
You can get your 15 digit acknowledgement number from ITR V.
- Income Tax Slab & Tax Rates for FY 2021-22 (AY 2022-23)
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2021-22 (AY 2022-23) : How to File ITR Online India
- Form 16: What is Form 16? Form 16 Meaning, Format & How to Upload
- Tax Benefits on Housing Loans for Home Buyers
- Section 234F: Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return