Commonly, the situation of Multiple Form 16 arises in these 2 cases
- When a person has switched job in the same financial year.
- When a person is working simultaneously with more than 1 employer.
“I have received a new Form 16. Now, as this is from my new employer, department will not know about my previous salary. So I will only have to pay tax on my current job’s income. And therefore I can save taxes!”
What people don’t understand, is that previous employer may already deducted tax from salary. And this TDS was deposited with the department, hence they know about your previous salary as well.
This creates trouble, as your total salary (from new & old employer) may have exceeded basic exemption limit or may have placed you in a higher tax bracket. Which in turn brings, penalty notice from department & this adds to worry.
But with proper planning & guidance, filing ITR with Multiple Form 16 can be very simple & easy. You can also get in touch with our eCAs & they’ll do all the work for you.
Applicable tax rate for shares on which Security Transaction Tax has been paid
Just follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Collect your Form 16 from different employers. Check the amount of tax deducted in the form of TDS & sum up your total gross salary.
Step 2: Download your Form 26AS & match the TDS amount from Form 16. It is important for TDS details to match as without it you won’t be able to take credit of taxes. If there is any mismatch, inform your employer immediately.
If you want to download your Form 26AS, refer our guide on How to View Form 26AS?
Step 3: Calculate your total income i.e. salary income plus any other income. If you have made any investments, donations etc in Sec 80C to 80U, then claim those deductions. This will give you “Total Taxable Income”.
Step 4: Compute your total tax liability after considering TDS & advance tax (if any). If there is any shortfall in tax liability already paid then you need to pay more. Otherwise you can claim refund of excess taxes paid.
Step 5: You should also check if any interest u/s 234A, 234B, 234C is applicable. Read about interest u/s 234A/B/C
Step 6: After you have determined & paid tax as well as interest liability, you can file ITR. The most common ITR for salaried individual is ITR 1 Sahaj Form. But ITR forms applicability vary from person to person, for that you can refer our ITR form guide
This is how you can file ITR in case you have Multiple Form 16 . But in today’s world, it’s very hectic to take out time & do all the computation etc. So there is one more simple way & that is
Consolidated Form 16
If you have changed job in the same financial year, then you should inform your new employer about your previous salary & investments made etc. Form 12B will help you in making declaration to new employer about previous salary etc. This will in-turn help employer to determine your total income correctly & deduct TDS accordingly. And after completion of relevant FY, you will be given consolidated Form 16.
Calculating tax liability in case of Multiple Form 16 is very easy given one has proper knowledge. And looking at the problems faced by many people, we decided to solve this issue for once & all. We hope now you can easily search for new opportunities, switch jobs comfortably & not worry about receiving Multiple Form 16.
For more such cool tax & e filing tips, keep following our blog & social media pages. Happy Filing
People also ask
- Section 234A - Interest Penalty on Delayed ITR Filing
- Section 234B - Interest on Delayed Payment of Advance Tax
- Section 234C - Interest on Deferred Payment of Advance Tax
- Section 234F - Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return
- Form 26AS - View & Download Form 26AS Through TRACES
- Mandatory Return Policies While Filing ITR
- Section 139(5) - How to File Revised Income Tax Return
- What to do if your ITR-V is Rejected?
- Assessment or Reassessment Notice U/s 148
- How To e-File ITR With Multiple Form 16s?
- How To Reset Income Tax efiling Password?
- How To Generate your Income Tax Return XML file for free?
- How To Fill Income from Other Sources detail in ITR 1?
- Income Tax e-Proceedings
- Income Tax Filing for Foreign Nationals/Citizens
- Income Tax for NRIs - Taxable Income & Deductions
- Income Tax for Pensioners - TDS On Pension
- Income Tax for Self Employed
- Income Tax for Senior Citizens
- Income Tax on Fixed Deposit Interest Income
- Income Tax on Saving Bank Interest
- ITR Forms
- ITR 1 Form - How to file ITR-1 Form Online?
- Sugam ITR-4S Form: Presumptive Business Income Tax Return
- ITR 5 Form - How to File ITR-5 Form Online?
- ITR 6 Form - How to File ITR-6 Form Online?
- ITR 7 Form - How to File ITR-7 Form Online?
- ITR Form V - Acknowledgement & Submission To CPC
- Rectify Income Tax Return U/S 154