- The due date of filing an income tax return has been changed to 31st October from the FY 2020-21 (AY 2021-22) in Budget 2020 for
- Audit cases
- Working or Non-Working Partners
What is section 80EEB ?
Under this section, deduction of interest payment on loan taken to purchase Electric Vehicle shall be available whether for person or business purpose. The deduction under this section would be available till the repayment of loan.
Deduction u/s 80EEB is available for 4 wheeled vehicles and also for 2 wheeled vehicles
What is the quantum of deduction available under section 80EEB?
The amount of deduction available under this section is given below :
Actual interest payment on loan or
(whichever is lower)
Who are eligible to claim deduction u/s 80EEB?
Only individuals are eligible to claim deduction under section 80EEB. One question may come in your mind whether non - resident also cover under this section ? Well, in the absence of specific provision, deduction under section 80EEB will be available to both resident and non-resident individuals.
What are the conditions to claim deduction u/s 80EEB ?
- Source and period of sanction :The loan must be taken from Financial Institution* and the loan must be sanctioned during the period between 01-April-2019 and 31-March-2023.
- Purpose : Loan should be taken to purchase electric vehicle*.
- No deduction under any other provision : The interest allowed under section 80EEB shall not be available under any other section of the Act.
Let’s under the meaning of some important terms used above :
What is the meaning of Financial Institution ?
- A banking company to which the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 applicable, or
- Any bank or banking institution referred to in section 51 of that Act
- Any NBFC taking deposit or
- A systemically important non-deposit taking non-banking financial company ( which means Non-deposit NBFC having total assets of not less than Rs.500 crore as per the last audited balance sheet and is registered with the RBI.
What is the meaning of Electric Vehicle ?
A vehicle which is powered exclusively by an electric motor whose traction energy is supplied exclusively by traction battery installed in the vehicle and has such electric regenerative braking system, which during braking provides for the conversion of vehicle kinetic energy into electrical energy.
Example : Given below is the information
|A taken a loan to purchase electric vehicle|
|Loan taken during FY 2019-20|
|Total interest payment during the year Rs. 2,00,000/-|
|Loan taken from a relative|
In the above case, no deduction of interest shall be allowed since loan was taken from the relative.However, in the above case if loan would have been taken from a financial institution then total deduction under section 80EEB shall be Rs. 1,50,000/-
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- For how many years this deduction shall be available?
Ans. Deduction under this section shall be available until repayment of loan provided other conditions satisfied.
Q- Can I claim the interest in my ITR if loan is taken by my wife ?
Ans. Since the law is not very clear but as per our opinion if you are making payment of interest then you can claim a deduction under this section.
Q- What evidence do I need to submit to my employer to claim benefit of section 80EEB ?
Ans. You must have received an interest certificate from the bank that you can submit. However, provisional interest certificate can also be submitted as evidence to claim deduction.
Q- Can a HUF claim the deduction u/s 80EEB ?
Ans. Only individuals can claim the deduction under this section. HUF is not eligible to claim the deduction.
Q- Whether repayment of principal amount of loan is also available as a deduction under section 80EEB?
Ans. No, only deduction in respect of interest payment is available under this section.
Last Date : New
People also ask
- Deductions under Chapter VI A
- Section 80C: Deductions & Tax Savings Investment Options
- Section 80CCC: Deduction for Contribution towards Pension Funds
- Section 80CCD: Deduction for APY & NPS Contribution
- Section 80CCD(1B) : Deductions & Tax Benefits For NPS Scheme
- Section 80CCG: Rajiv Gandhi Equity Saving Scheme (RGESS)
- Section 80RRB: Deductions on Income from Patent Royalty
- Section 80QQB: Deductions for Royalty Income of Authors
- Section 80D: Deduction for Medical Insurance & Preventive Check-Up
- Section 80E: Deduction for Interest on Education Loan
- Section 80EE: Deduction for Interest on Home Loan
- Section 80DD: Deduction for Expenses on Disabled Dependent
- Section 80DDB: Tax Deduction for Specified Diseases
- Section 80U: Tax Deduction for Disabled Individuals
- Income tax deduction under section 80U
- Section 80GG: Deduction for Rent Amount Paid
- Section 80GGA: Deduction for Donation for Scientific Research/Rural Development
- Section 80GGB: Tax Benefits to Indian Companies on Political Donations
- Section 80GGC: Tax Benefits to Individuals on Political Donations
- Section 80TTA: Deduction on Interest for Savings Accounts
- Section 80TTB: Tax Exemption for Senior Citizens on Interest Income
- Section-80-IA: Deductions For Gains From Industrial Undertakings
- Section 80-IC : Deductions For Certain Undertakings in Special States
- Section 80JJAA: Deduction For Employment of New Employees
- Section 80LA : Deduction For Certain Income Of Offshore Banking Units
- Section 80G: Deduction For Donations To Charitable Institutions
- Tax Benefits on Children Education,Tuition & School Fees Under 80C
- Section 80ID: Deduction For Profit From Business Of hotels
- ULIP – Unit Linked Insurance Plan
- Income Tax on Loan Taken from Friends or Relatives
- PPF - Public Provident Fund - Interest, Benefit & Withdrawals
- Tax Benefits On Insurance Policies – Section 80C
- Taxes can help you reduce the cost of your Home!
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- ELSS - Equity Linked Saving Schemes
- Bank Fixed Deposit - Interest Rates On Bank FD Accounts
- RBI Tax Savings Bonds - How to Invest in 7.75% Savings Bonds?
- Post Office Fixed Deposit: Interest Rates & Benefits
- NSC - National Savings Certificate - Interest & Benefits
- Post Office Tax Saving Investment Schemes - Plans & Benefits
- Post Office Savings Account - Process & Tax Benefits
- Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
- NPS - National Pension Scheme - Login & Benefits
- Universal Account Number (UAN): Activation & Login
- How to add I-SIP URN number in ICICI Netbanking?