What is an e-filing Password? How Does One Get a Password for His or Her Account?
To e-file one’s income tax return, it is essential to register on the Income Tax Department's online tax filing site. One of the most important steps in this registration is that one must choose a password for his or her account.
There are certain details you must provide. These include your date of birth and PAN. You can then enter a password. Your PAN will function as your user ID.
The password must have the following –
- a minimum of 8 characters
- a maximum of 14 characters,
- it must contain both upper and lower case letters,
- it must also have at least one number,
- it must also have one special character.
Prerequisites to Changing One’s Password
There are certain prerequisites prior to using this service available on the Income Tax Portal. They are –
a. One needs to have a valid and active PAN
b. One needs to have an existing e-filing password.
Step-by-step Guide to Changing the Password
- Step 1: Log in to the e-filing portal using the user ID and current e-filing password and then click on the “Continue” button.
- Step 2: Click the “change password” tab.
- Step 3: Enter the current password and the new password. The new password must be reconfirmed.
One must note that the password must have a minimum of 8 characters and a maximum of 14 characters, it must contain both upper and lower case letters, it must also have at least one number and one special character.
- Step 4: One has the option of checking the contents of the new password that is entered by clicking on the show/hide password icon.
- Step 5: If all the steps are completed correctly, then the password will be updated immediately and a success message will be displayed on the screen. A reference will be made to the transaction ID too.
- Step 6: The Tax Department will send a confirmation to your registered mobile number and email ID.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q - I do not remember my user ID. How can I log in to my account?
For the e-Filing portal, your PAN number is your user ID. Only if your Aadhaar number is linked to your PAN in the e-Filing site can you use it as a user ID
Q - Can I change my password to one of my previous passwords?
Yes, you definitely can. The new password, on the other hand, cannot be the same as your prior three passwords.
Q How will I know that my password is updated?
A success message will appear along with a transaction ID. A confirmation message will also be sent to the registered mobile number and email ID.
Q - What do I do if the password change has failed?
Follow these steps if your password change has failed-
1. Delete temp files from your web browser
2. Login again and try changing your password once more
Q -What if I click the Cancel button while on the Change Password page?
You will be able to view your dashboard without changing your password.
Q - I have forgotten my user ID and password. How can I recover them?
Your PAN (or Aadhaar number, in case your PAN and Aadhaar number are linked) is your user ID. You can click on the Forgot Password in the e-Filing portal to recover password using:
- Aadhaar OTP or
- OTP received on your mobile number registered on the e-Filing portal; or
- EVC (Electronic Verification Code) generated through pre-validated Bank Account / Demat Account; or
- DSC (Digital Signature Certificate)
- Income Tax Slab & Tax Rates for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Form 16: What is Form 16? Form 16 Meaning, Format & How to Upload
- Tax Benefits on Housing Loans for Home Buyers
- Section 234F: Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return