The first step for a taxpayer to do in the Income-tax portal is to fill/update the basic details i.e. profile information. Every registered taxpayer has to enter three major details in the new IT portal.

  • Personal details
  • Contact details
  • Other details

However, taxpayers are facing multiple issues in updating 100% of profile information.


Steps to edit/update profile in new e-filing portal:

  • Step 1: Go to the new e-filing website and log in with credentials

  • Step 2: Click on ‘My Profile’ from the dropdown in the top right corner. Then click on ‘Update Profile’ at the bottom of the page

    new e-filing website
  • Step 3: Click on the edit option in the Profile section. This will display various details like Name, DOB, gender, PAN and its status, Aadhar details. Citizenship and Passport details can also be added.

    Profile section

    Click on ‘Save’ once the details are edited.

  • Step 4: Click on the ‘Edit’ option in the Contact section. Enter contact details like Phone number, email id for Primary and Secondary contacts.

    Enter contact details

    Contact information can be updated as per Aadhar by entering OTP after selecting the ‘Update as Aadhar’ option.

  • Step 5: Enter Address. Certain fields are made mandatory, enter required data, and Proceed to ‘Save’.

    Certain fields are made mandatory

    On successful updating of all data, Click on ‘Save’ which results in 100% profile information update in the Income-tax portal.


Many taxpayers are facing several technical errors/issues while updating this profile information. Some of such errors are listed below,

1. Profile information says 85% complete even after entering all the details – Nowhere it highlights where the rest 15% data is missing.

2. Portal shows Address mismatch in Profile PAN Address vs ITR communication address
– even after entering the exact address mentioned in PAN. The only difference is the term ‘INDIA’ is not mentioned in PAN whereas it is entered in the IT portal.
Therefore, taxpayers need to update their Aadhar or PAN as per the e-filing site.

3. The Primary contact number has been changed to Secondary & vice versa and it is the same with the email id as well.

4. Portal shows wrong PAN status as well – When a taxpayer tried to register he received a message stating “you are minor and not authorized under the law”

5. Newly incorporated firms and companies are not able to register for the first time and are unable to register for Digital Signature Certificate.

6. Few basic information of companies like Name of the organization as per PAN, Date of Incorporation is shown wrong.

7. Taxpayers are unable to proceed with the final registration process after OTP validation.


Other Consequences

Apart from these errors with updating Profile Information, taxpayers are facing multiple errors while ITR filing, ITR forms filing, Downloading of Form 26AS, Bank account validation, difficulty in downloading filed ITR and ITR Acknowledgments, Unable to file Form 15CA, CB online, e-Proceedings & Grievances tab not functioning, Old grievances registered not reflected, JSON utility not available for IT return filing and many more issues.

Response from Income Tax Department

Taxpayers and Tax experts across India are raising several issues and difficulties on daily basis expecting a quick solution yet no action is taken by the Income Tax Department.
Rather, ITD has provided relaxations by various due date extensions for ITR filing and filing of various forms like Form 15CA, 15CB, etc.

If this is the condition of the new e-filing portal now itself, the public is wondering about the state of things to come when the higher load hits the website.


CA Abhishek Soni
CA Abhishek Soni

Abhishek Soni is a Chartered Accountant by profession & entrepreneur by passion. He is the co-founder & CEO of Tax2Win.in. Tax2win is amongst the top 25 emerging startups of Asia and authorized ERI by the Income Tax Department. In the past, he worked in EY and comes with wide industry experience from telecom, retail to manufacturing to entertainment where he has handled various national and international assignments.

X

Union Budget 2023-24

Has your take home salary increased? Check the impact of Budget 2023 on your income

Check Now