Tax Troubles? We've Got You Covered!
Tax Advisory Services
Get Expert Consultation Now!
  • 2500 Cr. Saved Already!
  • Trusted by 1 Million+
  • 10+ Yr. of Industry Experience
Tax Advisor

FSSAI Registration: Types of License, Documents Required

Updated on: 10 Aug, 2023 02:54 PM

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI) works under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and established by the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. In India, FSSAI is the authority to give a food license to every kind of food business. It looks after the food quality and checks whether food business is running with proper registration/ license or not.

In short, In India FSSAI is solely responsible for setting rules and principles for the food business. All the food businesses in the country have to follow the rules set up by the FSSAI.

FSSAI Registration

In India, before starting any food business FSSAI registration or license is required. It includes food businesses i.e- traders, small eateries, restaurants, importers, exporters, grocery shops, dairy farms, retailers and manufacturers, etc. All the food businesses coming under FSSAI should necessarily go for 14 digit registration or license number which is to be shown in the food packages.

Business who are involved under the food business should get themselves registered under the FSSAI. Every food business operator must get themselves registered otherwise heavy penalties can be imposed on them. Type of the Registration/license depends on the size, type, and annual turnover. Following types of registration can be seen under this-

  • Basic Registration
  • State License
  • Central License

Basic Registration

Small Businesses whose turnover is less than 12 Lacs comes under this. In the future, when the business increases you can update it to state or central license.

State License

Companies which are of medium size and have a turnover between 12 Lacs to 20 crore comes under the state license.

Central License

Central License is needed for big business houses whose turnover is more than Rs 20 Crores. Specially importers and exporters need a central license.

Type of FSSAI: On the basis of Size of Business

  • Medium size food businesses that include food manufacturers, hotels, restaurants, etc have to apply for the state license.
  • Food business operators which come under the large business size, are liable to get a central license.

Process of FSSAI Registration

Registration process under FSSAI is very simple and it includes the below-mentioned steps-

  • At the initial level, submit the Form A to the food and safety department.
  • Application submitted by you can be accepted or rejected by the department within 7 days of the submission of application.
  • On the acceptance of the application, you will be provided with a registration certificate. In addition to this, you'll also get the registration number and photo.
  • Further, FBOs are required to display the FSSAI registration at their business place during the working hours.

Documents needed for FSSAI Registration

  • Authority Letter
  • A copy of rent agreement
  • Declaration Form
  • Photo identity of promotors of the food business
  • Form B- Properly signed and completed
  • Food safety management system plan
  • Copy of Aadhaar or Voter ID Card
  • Electricity or water bill of business place
  • List of the manufacturer of the food product or processed products or stored products
  • Memorandum of Association(MOA)/Partnership deed/Articles of Association(AOA)

Documents required for Central License under FSSAI

List of all the documents required for getting the central license-

  • Form B properly signed and completed
  • List of all the directors/Executive members of society etc including contact details(Mandatory in case of companies)
  • Details of Equipment & Machinery with the number and installed capacity (Mandatory in case of Manufacturing & Processing Units)
  • Form IX
  • Declaration Form
  • Source of raw material used
  • A Certificate from the Ministry of Finance
  • Copy of proof stating possession of premises
  • A certificate from the Ministry of Tourism
  • Certificate from Ministry of Commerce for 100% EOU
  • Supporting documents for proof of turnover
  • Copy of the license and NOC
  • Analysis report of water that is to be used in food products and its portability
  • A complete list of food category to be manufactured
  • A copy of proof of possession of premises
  • IE code document issued by DGFT etc

Documents required for State License under FSSAI

At the time of applying for state license under FSSAI, a list of documents will be needed by you to serve the purpose. A complete list of documents required is given below-

  • Form B properly signed and completed
  • Layout plan or blueprint of the processing unit
  • A complete list of directors, Proprietors, Trust, etc with full contact details including address
  • Details of the Equipments and Machinery installed
  • Address proof and photo id issued by the government authorities of the partners, Directors, Authorised signatories etc
  • List of the desired food categories
  • Analysis report of water that is to be used in the food products and its portability
  • Copy of proof for possession of premises.
  • Memorandum of Association, Partnership Deed, Affidavit of Proprietorship
  • Copy of certificate received under the Coop Act 1861/Multi State Coop Act 2002
  • Declaration Form
  • Certificate from the Ministry of Tourism
  • Copy of NOC from Municipality and local bodies
  • Form IX


As per the Rules and Regulations of the FSS Act 2006, each and every Food Business Operator(FBO) is required to follow the guidelines given in the act. To maintain the food safety, Food safety officers keep on inspecting the working of the FBOs and if any non-compliance is found then an improvement notice is given to the FBOs regarding the food quality or any other issue that has been found. If an FBO does not respond to the notice received then his license may be canceled for such an activity.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q- How does a Food Safety Officer Checks the Compliance?

Food Safety officer has a pre-decided format to inspect the working of FBOs and on the basis of that, they are given the following remarks by the Food Officer-

  • Compliance(C)
  • Non-Compliance(NC)
  • Partial Compliance
  • Not Applicable(NA)

Q- Can FSSAI license be suspended?

Yes, your FSSAI license can be suspended if after getting a compliance notice you have not taken any positive action towards it.

Q- Is FSSAI mandatory for Food Business Operators?

As per the FSS Act 2006, all the business operators are required to get themselves registered or obtain a State/Central license before starting a food business. As It is mandatory to ensure the safety of food products and 14 digit registration number should be printed on the food packages.

Q- Who requires an FSSAI Registration?

All the Small scale food business operators need to go for a basic registration process. Companies whose turnover is less than 12 Lakhs in a year required to go through the basic registration procedure.

Q- Who requires an FSSAI License?

In simple terms, you can say that all the food businesses who are not coming under basic registration are required to obtain a State or Central license. If the yearly turnover of business is 12 lakhs to 20 Crore then State license will be needed and for FBOs whose turnover is more than 20 crores are required to obtain Central license.

CA Abhishek Soni
CA Abhishek Soni

Abhishek Soni is a Chartered Accountant by profession & entrepreneur by passion. He is the co-founder & CEO of Tax2win is amongst the top 25 emerging startups of Asia and authorized ERI by the Income Tax Department. In the past, he worked in EY and comes with wide industry experience from telecom, retail to manufacturing to entertainment where he has handled various national and international assignments.