ESIC Portal Login Process for Employees & Employers
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC portal) is a statutory corporate entity managed by India's federal ministry- Ministry of Labour and Employment. The aim of this multidimensional portal is to fund the Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) scheme. ESI (Employment State Insurance) is an insurance scheme launched by the government of India to offer social protection to employees and their dependents, i.e., family members. Unlike other medical insurance, it covers numerous benefits which are provided at the time of sickness, maternity, death, disablement, unemployment, etc. At present, there are more than 13 crore employees and their family members who are covered under this scheme. Here, we will be discussing the different purposes of the ESIC employee login and ESIC employer login into the ESIC portal application and the ESIC registration procedure. We will be covering the following points:
What is ESIC portal and how does it work?
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) is an independent entity under the Ministry of Labour and Employment that offers an ESIC member login panel. The primary objective of this organization is to fund the Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) scheme. This scheme is mainly to cater to the medical needs of the employees of India. It started off as a scheme for factory workers but now incorporates all the workforce employed in the organized sector. ESIC funds are primarily built out of contributions from employers and employees. The percentage of contribution [(w.e.f. 01.07.2019)] made by the employer and employee varies, 3.25 % for employers and 0.75% for employees, making it a total of 4% of the total wages paid. It is managed by the ESIC portal according to the rules and regulations accorded in the ESI Act of 1948. Employees in receipt of a daily average wage up to Rs.137/- are exempted from payment of contribution. Employers will, however, contribute their own share in respect of these employees.
What is the eligibility of the ESIC portal application?
Employers: ESIC registration is mandatory for all the organizations with a workforce comprising more than 10 employees.
Employee: To avail of these services and benefits offered by the ESIC portal, an individual should meet certain criteria set by the committee. The scheme is applicable to -
- An employee, employed in a non-seasonal factory with a strength of more than 10 employees.
- The wage limit of employees has been set at Rs. 21,000 per month (Rs. 25,000/- per month in the case of persons with disability); to be eligible for the ESI scheme. This became effective from 1 January 2017.
What are some benefits of the ESIC portal?
The benefits of the ESIC portal are that apart from the full medical coverage for self and dependents, the insured is entitled to different benefits in times of physical distress due to sickness, etc. If the insured person loses his capacity to earn because of some employment injury, occupational hazard, or even death, then the dependents will be entitled to a monthly pension.
Also read: 10 Best Tax Saving Schemes in 2023
What services are offered by the ESIC portal?
The ESIC portal offers a wide variety of services which are classified broadly into two parts, which are Services for Employers and Services for Employees.
Services for Employer: The services provided under this category include the following for the employers:
- Employer Portal: Using the employer portal, the employer can timely update the employee details, maintain a wage contributory report, reply for absenteeism verification, etc.
- Shram Suvidha Portal: This portal allows the organization to meet all the labor laws that are applicable to it. Compliances can be reported through a single form which makes it simple for those filing such forms. There are key indicators to monitor performance, thus making evaluation more objective in nature.
Services for Employees: The services provided under this category include the following for the employees:
- IP Portal: The Insured person can log into the IP portal http://www.esic.in/employeeportal/login.aspx with their insurance number (same as user Name) and ascertain the details of contribution paid on their behalf, check their entitlement to various benefits, etc.
- Tie-up hospitals: ESI beneficiaries can visit or can even be referred to tie-up hospitals for any medical requirement, including emergency and non-emergency services. Amidst Covid-19, the ESIC portal has allowed the insured to avail of medical facilities to tie up hospitals and private chemists, as many of its hospitals have been converted into Covid-19 dedicated hospitals.
- Scale of medical benefits: The scale of medical Benefits informs the insured persons and their family members about the prescribed guidelines following which they can avail of the medical benefits.
What is the ESIC Employer login process?
Any employer with more than ten employees needs to register themselves within 15 days at the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation. To do so, the employer needs to visit the online employer portal at www.esic.in and make the ESIC Employer login. After the employer is done registering himself, he will receive a 17-digit employer code number along with ESIC Employer login credentials (login and password). If, not registered yet, click here to learn the registration process of ESIC. However, the employer needs to check if the ESIC ‘employer portal’ is compatible with his browser. The portal is compatible either with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
The image above the home page of the employer’s portal. You can reach this page by clicking on the link mentioned, and by following the steps: https://www.esic.nic.in/
- After reaching the page, on the left side of the screen, you will see ‘Services’.
- Click on that and choose ‘Employer,’ and then ‘Employer Portal’.
Since the Employer portal is an external page, your browser will ask your permission to redirect you to the page. Grant permission, and you will reach the Employer Portal.
After reaching the portal, you will see an option of ‘Click here to log in’ on the right side of the screen. Select that option, and a screen similar to the one mentioned below will pop up on your screens.
After receiving the credentials, the employer can log in to the employer’s portal and can submit the details regarding the employee like details of his family members, residence address of all the members, and the clinic from where he/she is already taking medical treatment or would like to take in the future.
Some of the benefits which can be availed by Employers through the ESIC portal are as follows-
- Employers who are covered under the ESI scheme are exempted from the Maternity Benefit Act and Employees’ Compensation Act for employees.
- Employers are freed from responsibilities of physical distress of workers such as employment injury, physical disablement leading to loss of wages, etc. This is because financial assistance in such circumstances is provided by the ESIC portal for insured employees.
- Any sum contributed under the ESI Act shall be deductible while computing ‘Income’ under the Income Tax Act.
What is the ESIC Employee login process?
Once the employee is registered by the employer, he/she is referred to as an ‘Insured person’. The Insured person/employee can visit the employee portal to check their contribution to the ESI scheme along with the benefits that they are entitled to. The employee can click on the link attached to reach the employees’ portal:
- This ESIC Employee login portal is compatible with most web browsers.
- The ESIC Employee login portal will look similar to the picture attached below:
- Your username is your ‘Insurance number’. Log in using your Insurance number and enter the Captcha. After logging in, you will be able to see the contributions made by you and your employer towards this scheme. You will also be able to see updates and other benefits that you can claim and are entitled to.
What are the benefits that are available to employees?
Some of the benefits that can be availed by employees are mentioned below -
- Medical Benefits: From the day an individual enters insurable employment, he and his family are provided with full medical support. No ceiling has been set on the treatment expenditure, neither the person nor the family.
- Sickness Benefit: It is a cash compensation benefit that is 70% of the total wages. This amount is payable only to the insured workers during the period of certified sickness, which lasts for at least 91 days in a year.
- Maternity Benefit: Maternity benefit for confinement/pregnancy is for twenty-six weeks. This can further be extended for another one month on medical advice at the rate of full wage subject to contribution for 70 days in the preceding two Contribution Periods.
- Disablement Benefit:
a) Temporary disablement benefit (TDB) : From the first day of entering insurable employment & irrespective of having paid any contribution in case of employment injury. 90% of the wage is payable as long as the disability continues under the temporary disablement benefit.
b) Permanent disablement benefit (PDB) : The benefit is paid at the rate of 90% of the wage in the form of monthly payment depending upon the extent of loss of earning capacity as certified by a Medical Board
- Dependents Benefit: DB paid at the rate of 90% of wage in the form of monthly payment to the dependents of a deceased Insured person in cases where death occurs due to employment injury or occupational hazards.
- Other Benefits:
Funeral Expenses : An amount of Rs.15,000/- is payable to the dependents or to the person who performs last rites from day one of entering insurable employment.
Confinement Expenses: An Insured Woman or an I.P. in respect of his wife in case confinement occurs at a place where necessary medical facilities under the ESI Scheme are not available.
Frequently Asked Questions on ESIC portal
Q- How can I get an ESIC card online?
The employer needs to download the Pehchaan application from the official ESIC portal and fill in the required details of the employee. The employee needs to submit a family photograph containing the photo of the employee and the dependents. After which, the employee needs to carry the form and his dependents to the nearest ESIC office, where the photos and fingerprints of the employee and dependents will be captured. Within 30 days, the insured person will get a set of 2 cards sent through courier.
Q- How to get an ESI Card?
An ESI card, popularly known as a Pehchan card, can be accomplished by the following steps:
- Open the ESIC e-pehchan Portal in your browser.
- Select the 'e-Pehchan card' in the drop-down menu of the 'Employee' tab.
- Write the 'Employee Insurance number,' double verify it, and press the 'View' button.
- Now, press the 'View counter foil' button in the drop-down menu of the 'Registration Employee Details.'
- Then, an e-Pehchan card will open. You may take a printout of it.
- The employer is supposed to offer the counterfoil to all his employees who have ESI cards.
- Upload your photograph (the employer) and the photos of your dependents (the employee) for attestation.
- After a successful attestation, you need to submit the counterfoil of the e-Pehchan to the nearby ESIC office to get the ESI card.
Q- What is the IP number in the ESIC portal?
IP number represents a unique insured person number given to avail of the ESIC benefits for each insured person.
Q- How many digits are there in an ESIC IP number?
There are 17 digits representing the unique identification number assigned to each establishment or factory registered under the Indian provisions of the Act.
Q- Which is the best browser for an ESIC site?
Internet explorer is the browser that is best suited for an ESIC ip portal login.
Q- What is the username for login into the ESIC portal?
When you make an ESIC ip login, then you’ll find that the Username for the ESIC portal is the same as that of insured person number.
Q- What is a Permanent Identity Card (PIC)?
TIC is converted to a Permanent Identity Card (PIC) when the IP number is linked with Aadhaar.
Q- What is a Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC)?
The Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC) is issued when an employee is registered at the www esic portal.
Q- What major problems come with new employee registration at the ESIC member login?
- Many employers find the ESI new employee registration process a time-consuming and lethargic process. At the ESIC member login panel, there is no leverage for the bulk upload. You need to individually upload the new employees, so it will definitely take so much of the employer’s time.
- Migrant workers find it difficult to submit documents for new registration. Moreover, the ten days registration time slot again restricts them.
- Once you have started the registration process, then you need to complete the registration within two months. Otherwise, your registration request will get disapproved.
- Section 234F: Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return
- Income Tax Slab & Tax Rates for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)
- Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24): How to File ITR Online India
- Form 16: What is Form 16? Form 16 Meaning, Format & How to Upload
- Tax Benefits on Housing Loans for Home Buyers