What is ESIC and how does it work?
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) is an independent entity under the Ministry of Labour and Employment. The primary objective of this organization is to fund the Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) scheme. This scheme is mainly to cater to the medical needs of the employees of India. It started off as a scheme for factory workers but now incorporates all the workforce employed in the organized sector. ESIC funds are primarily built out of contribution from employers and employees. The percentage of contribution [(w.e.f. 01.07.2019)] made by the employer and employee vary, 3.25 % for employers and 0.75% for employees, making it a total of 4% the total wages paid. It is managed by the ESIC according to the rules and regulations accorded in the ESI Act of 1948. Employees in receipt of a daily average wage upto Rs.137/- are exempted from payment of contribution. Employers will however contribute their own share in respect of these employees.Eligibility :
- Employers : ESIC registration is mandatory for all the organizations with a workforce comprising more than 10 employees.
- Employee : To avail these services and benefits offered by the ESIC, an individual should meet certain criteria, set by the committee. The scheme is applicable to -
- An employee, employed in a non-seasonal factory with a strength of more than 10 employees.
- The wage limit of employees has been set at Rs. 21,000 per month (Rs. 25,000/- per month in the case of persons with disability)., to be eligible for the ESI scheme. This became effective from 1 January 2017.
The benefits of ESIC are that apart from the full medical coverage for self and dependents, the insured is entitled to different benefits in times of physical distress due to sickness etc. If the insured person loses his capacity to earn because of some employment injury, occupational hazard or even death then the dependents will be entitled to monthly pension.
What are services offered by ESIC portal?
The ESIC portal offers a wide variety of services which are classified broadly into two parts, which are Services for Employers and Services for Employees.
Services for Employer: The services provided under this category includes the following for the employers:
- Employer Portal: Using the employer portal the employer can timely update the employee details, maintain a wage contributory report, reply for absenteeism verification etc.
- Shram Suvidha Portal: This portal allows the organization to meet all the labor laws that are applicable to it. Compliances can be reported through a single form which makes it simple for those filing such forms.There are key indicators to monitor performance, thus making evaluation more objective in nature.
Services for Employees: The services provided under this category includes the following for the employees:
- IP Portal: The Insured person can log into the IP portal http://www.esic.in/employeeportal/login.aspx with their insurance number (same as user Name) and ascertain the details of contribution paid on their behalf, check their entitlement to various benefits etc.
- Tie-up hospitals: ESI beneficiaries can visit or can even be referred to tie-up hospitals for any medical requirement, including emergency and non-emergency services. Amidst Covid-19 ESIC has allowed the insured to avail medical facilities to tie-up hospitals and private chemists, as many of its hospitals have been converted into Covid-19 dedicated hospitals.
- Scale of medical benefits: The scale of medical Benefits intimate the insured persons and their family members about the prescribed guidelines following which they can avail the medical benefits.
What is the ESIC Employer Portal login process?
Any employer with more than 10 employees needs to register themselves within 15 days at the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation. To do so, the employer needs to visit the online employer portal at www.esic.in. After the employer is done registering himself, he will receive a 17 digit employer code number along with ESIC portal login credentials (login and password). If not registered yet, click here to know the registration process of ESIC. However, the employer needs to check if the ‘employer portal’ is compatible with his browser. The portal is compatible either with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
The image above the home page of the employer’s portal. You can reach this page by clicking on the link mentioned and by following the steps: https://www.esic.nic.in/
- After reaching the page, on the left side of the screen, you will see ‘Services’.
- Click on that and choose ‘Employer’ and then ‘Employer Portal’.
Since the Employer portal is an external page, your browser will ask your permission to redirect you to the page. Grant permission and you will reach the Employer Portal.
After reaching the portal, you will see an option of ‘Click here to login’ on the right side of the screen. Select that option and a screen similar to the one mentioned below will pop up on your screens.
After receiving the credentials, the employer can log in the employer’s portal and can submit the details regarding the employees like details of his family members, residence address of all the members, and the clinic from where he/she is already taking medical treatment or would like to take in the future.
Some of the benefits which can be availed by Employers through ESIC are as follows-
- Employers who are covered under the ESI scheme are exempted from the Maternity benefit Act and Employees’ Compensation Act for employees.
- Employers are freed from responsibilities of physical distress of workers such as employment injury, physical disablement leading to loss of wages etc. This is because the financial assistance in such circumstances are provided by the ESIC for insured employees.
- Any sum contributed under the ESI Act shall be deductible while computing ‘Income’ under the Income Tax Act.
What is the ESIC Employee Portal login process?
Once the employee is registered by the employer, he/she is referred to as ‘Insured person’. The Insured person/employee can visit the employee portal to check their contribution to the ESI scheme along with the benefits that they are entitled to. The employee can click on the link attached to reach the employees’ portal:
- This portal is compatible with most of the web browsers.
- Employee’s portal will look similar to the picture attached below:
- Your username is your ‘Insurance number’. Log in using your Insurance number and enter the Captcha. After logging in, you will be able to see the contributions made by you and your employer towards this scheme. You will also be able to see updates and other benefits that you can claim and are entitled to.
Some of the benefits that can be availed by employees are mentioned below -
- Medical Benefits : From the day an individual enters the insurable employment, he and his family is provided with full medical support. No ceiling has been set on the treatment expenditure of neither the person nor the family.
- Sickness Benefit : It is a cash compensation benefit which is 70% of the total wages, this amount is payable only to the insured workers during the period of certified sickness which lasts for at least 91 days in a year.
- Maternity Benefit : Maternity benefit for confinement/pregnancy is for twenty six weeks, this can further be extended for another one month on medical advice at the rate of full wage subject to contribution for 70 days in the preceding Two Contribution Periods.
- Disablement Benefit :
- 1. Temporary disablement benefit (TDB) : From the first day of entering insurable employment & irrespective of having paid any contribution in case of employment injury. 90% of wage is payable as long as the disability continues under the temporary disablement benefit.
- 2. Permanent disablement benefit (PDB) : The benefit is paid at the rate of 90% of wage in the form of monthly payment depending upon the extent of loss of earning capacity as certified by a Medical Board
- Dependents Benefit : DB paid at the rate of 90% of wage in the form of monthly payment to the dependants of a deceased Insured person in cases where death occurs due to employment injury or occupational hazards.
- Other Benefits :
Funeral Expenses : An amount of Rs.15,000/- is payable to the dependents or to the person who performs last rites from day one of entering insurable employment. Confinement Expenses : An Insured Woman or an I.P. in respect of his wife in case confinement occurs at a place where necessary medical facilities under ESI Scheme are not available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q- How can I get an ESIC card online?
Ans. The employer needs to download the Pehchaan application from the official ESIC portal and fill the required details of the employee. The employee needs to submit a family photograph containing the photo of the employee and the dependents. After which the employee needs to carry the form and his dependents to the nearest ESIC office where the photos and fingerprints of the employee and dependents will be captured. Within 30 days the insured person will get a set of 2 cards, sent through courier.
Q- What is the IP number in ESIC?
Ans. The Insurance number is the same as that of the ESIC username.
Q- Which browser is best for an ESIC site?
Ans. Internet explorer is the browser that is best suited for an ESIC site.
Q- What is the username for login to ESIC portal?
Ans. Username for the ESIC portal is the same as that of the Insurance number.
Q- What is PIC?
Ans. TIC is converted to a Permanent Identity Card (PIC) when the IP number is linked with Aadhaar.
Q- What is TIC?
Ans. The Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC) is issued when an employee is registered under the ESIC scheme.
Last Date : New
People also ask
- Form 16A - All You Need To Know
- Rent Slips/Receipts - How to Claim HRA Tax
- Form 16 - Format & How to Upload?
- How to Calculate Income Tax on Salary?
- Relief under section 89 - Taxability in case of Arrear of Salary
- Standard Deduction for Salaried Employees
- How to Generate & Fill form 16, Form 16 Part A & Part B?